Roncalli Hall 257
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield CT 06825
The Business Economics program gives students a solid understanding of today’s global business environment and market structure. It combines in-depth study of economic theory with business applications within an ethical framework. Students acquire the analytical and problem solving skills needed to investigate and critically evaluate economic trends and business conditions. Our program is designed to prepare students to succeed in business and government careers, graduate schools, law schools as well as to become better-informed and productive citizens.
The educational objectives of the Business Economics program are to enable students to:
- Interpret current economic events and conditions confronting society (e.g. deficits, inflation, unemployment, poverty, economic growth)
- Understand the economic factors affecting individuals (e.g. wages, cost of living, taxes)
- Gain an understanding of how economics impacts the decision-making process of firms.
- Develop an awareness of the ethical dimensions of economics
- Acquire the analytical skills needed to investigate and critically evaluate economic effects of various policy actions at the local, state, national, and international governmental levels
Business Students Provide Economic Outlook for State of Connecticut
May 28, 2015
Freshmen Present New Business Plans
May 14, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Forty-four groups, made up of four or five freshmen students from Sacred Heart University’s Jack Welch College of Business (WCOB), presented their plans for a new business recently at the Frank and Marisa Martire Business & Communications Center. The event, which began with a poster session, was sponsored by Christopher Rosen, COO of Hyperbaric Medical Solutions. The students represented eight sections of SHU’s Intro to Business class, which became mandatory for freshmen business students this year. The students not only had to create a new business, but needed to research risks and rewards, determine their breakeven point and consider plans for future expansion.
Goldman Sachs COO Cohn Speaks at New Finance Center Opening
May 6, 2015
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – On the heels of a visit from former General Electric Company Chairman & CEO Jack Welch and his wife, Suzy, Gary Cohn, the president and COO of investment banking and securities firm Goldman Sachs, stopped by for a “fireside chat” at Sacred Heart University, late Tuesday afternoon, April 28. Cohn’s visit coincided with the celebration of the opening of the new Finance Center, located in the University’s new Frank and Marisa Martire Business & Communications Center. More than 100 business students, faculty and SHU administrators gathered for the presentation.