A total of 60 credit hours of graduate course work is required for the MBA degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Depending on undergraduate preparation, students can reduce credit hours by as many as 15 credits. Regardless of the number of transfer credits and waivers for which a student may be eligible, a minimum of 36 credit hours must be taken at Sacred Heart University.
The MBA curriculum for students with an undergraduate degree in Business will generally consist of 51 credit hours or less of 600-Level courses. Students who have weak undergraduate grades or have not taken undergraduate business courses in Accounting, Economics, and Statistics will be required to take the equivalent as prerequisite to the MBA program. International students may be required to take one or more English courses.
- AC 511 Corporate Financial Accounting and Reporting
- BU 543 Statistics for Decision Making
- EC 511 Economics Principals
Waiver Policy for Prerequisite Courses
To apply for prerequisite undergraduate credit equivalents, a student must have had an average grade of B or better and courses must have been taken within the past six years.
- AC 511: Six credit hours in accounting -- the equivalent of AC 101 Financial Accounting and Reporting and AC 105 Managerial Accounting and Control at Sacred Heart University; or successfully completed the competency examination developed by the Sacred Heart University Accounting Department.
- BU 543: Three credit hours in statistics -- the equivalent of BU 241 Business Statistics atSacredHeartUniversity; or successfully completed the competency examination developed by the Sacred Heart University Management Department.
- EC 511: Six credits in macro and microeconomics -- the equivalent of EC 201 and EC 202 at Sacred Heart University; or successfully completed the competency examination developed by the Sacred Heart University Economics Department.
Six credit hours per semester is considered the maximum workload for part-time students. Nine credit hours per semester is the minimum for full-time students. However, part-time MBA students who wish to take more than six credit hours per trimester and full-time students who wish to take more than nine credit hours per trimester may do so if permission is granted by their academic advisor.
With the approval of an advisor and the program director, a thesis may be used in lieu of six elective credit hours toward the MBA degree. Generally, registering for a thesis will be the same as registering for two three-credit hour MBA courses.
To apply for waivers for core courses, a student must have had an average grade of B or better and courses must have been taken within the past six years:
- AC 610: Six additional credit hours in cost/managerial accounting beyond the prerequisite requirements -- the equivalent of AC 313 Cost Management and AC 314 Advanced Managerial Accounting atSacredHeartUniversity.
- BU 601: Three credit hours in organization management and three credit hours in business communication -- the equivalent of BU 201 Organizational Management and BU 221 Business Communication atSacredHeartUniversity.
- BU 631: Three credit hours in organizational behavior plus three credit hours in psychology -- the equivalent of BU 202 Organizational Behavior and PS 101 or PS 131 General Psychology-Scientific Aspects atSacredHeartUniversity.
- BU 633: Six credit hours in business law -- the equivalent of BU 231 Business Law I and BU 232 Business Law II atSacredHeartUniversity.
- BU 641: Six credit hours in management of information technology.
- BU 665: No waiver given for this course.
- BU 670: Six credit hours in operations management.
- BU 681: No waiver given for this course.
- BU 690: No waiver given for this course.
- EC 621: Permission from chairperson of the Finance/Economics Department.
- FN 660: Six credit hours in finance -- the equivalent of FN 215 Financial Management and three additional credit hours in Finance.
- MK 661: Six credit hours in marketing -- the equivalent of MK 261 Principals of Marketing and three additional credit hours in Marketing.