The new Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) in Finance is an applied research doctoral degree designed for finance executives and advanced business professionals to expand and deepen their knowledge and to acquire state-of-the-art qualifications for furthering their careers.
Unlike the traditional Ph.D. model that prepares candidates for academic careers, the DBA program focuses on developing knowledge with direct global business applications and prepares graduates for executive careers in business and financial institutions, consulting firms, government agencies or academic careers that require an equivalent of a PhD degree from an accredited institution.
You will find our DBA program to be highly focused and personalized, as it leads to specialized, original dissertation research projects matching the student's interests and career aspirations. Courses are developed and taught by accomplished Sacred Heart University scholars in the discipline of finance as well as visiting faculty from around the world.
In keeping with the program’s mission and vision, five key program-level goals have been determined:
- You will be prepared for a highly specialized career in a business or financial institution, consulting firm, government agency or academic career.
- You will acquire advanced, cutting edge knowledge in finance and gain research skills for conducting independent, complex financial projects.
- You will demonstrate the creation of new knowledge through original research.
- You will gain global perspective on issues related to financial markets and institutions
- You will comprehend and appreciate the importance of high ethical standards and values for finance professionals.
The program is devised as an extension of graduate study beyond a master’s degree in business and as a supplement to doctoral degrees in non-business fields.
The DBA program is delivered through blended "executive program style" meeting formats. The executive style format will encourage a collaborative environment. The weekend residency mode will focus on face-to-face, classroom instruction during the first two years of the program. The more advanced stages of the program will be based on independent research and dissertation preparation.
The weekend residency mode will enable you to:
- Engage directly in group research projects
- Gain direct access to instructional resources such as the library, the learning (Finance) laboratory, research materials, equipment and databases.
- Establish networking opportunities with faculty and your fellow students