The Sport Management curriculum provides you with a theoretical and skill-based framework in core business disciplines, functional business skills and in specific sport management areas. Focus is on the financial, marketing, media, legal and ethical dimensions of sport management. You will be provided with the knowledge, competencies, and skills necessary to assume dynamic management positions in the sport industry.
This program will ultimately prepare you as a professional to be self-directed in your learning, a critical thinker and problem-solver, interdisciplinary in your approach, and capable of effectively managing sport enterprises and marketing sport-related services and products to diverse markets. In addition, Sacred Heart University, with its Luxembourg campus and international focus, is positioned to assist students to access the expanding global market in sport business.
As a Sport Management major, you will:
- Understand the principles of management and their application to the sport enterprise and describe the nature of entrepreneurship as it applies to sport business.
- Understand the development of professional sport in the U.S. and the labor-management relationship in professional sport.
- Identify the key factors contributing to the globalization of sport including international sport federations, leagues, and corporations.
- Understand the nature and complexity of sport finance, especially related to the financing of sport venues.
- Understand the nature of sport marketing and the market forces affecting marketing strategies in the sport industry.
- Understand the process of ethical decision making and its application in sport business.
- Understand the basic legal principles related to sport business and recognize their application in sport management practice.
- Identify the important dimensions of media in the sport industry, including new media, ethics, crisis management, and publications.
Yes, the program provides students with dynamic internship opportunities. Internships are widely available and strongly encouraged. The SHU WCOB internship is unique in its focus on development and enhancement of job search, interviewing and career assessment skills as well as experience in the field. The internship experience is recorded and assessed using a portfolio approach. At the conclusion of the internship, you will re-evaluate skills, career goals and career development needs in light of the experience.
The increasing complexity of sport business, interest of the media, globalization, and the influence of technology, especially new media, have created numerous professional opportunities at various levels. These opportunities exist within professional leagues, federations, franchises and intercollegiate athletics, and include:
- venue and event management
- sporting goods and licensed merchandise
- sport marketing and sponsorship
- sport tourism and hospitality
- sport media and new media
- sport law
No, we have an open admission policy. Incoming first-year students and transfer students may declare the Sport Management major when you apply for admission to Sacred Heart University.
Sports Management Enterprise is a club designed for students that are passionate about sports. This club sponsors a number of events, such as speakers, and provides opportunities for members to volunteer within the community.