Grace Guo, Ph.D.
Dr. Guo is a member of the Academy of Management (AoM), International Association for Chinese Management Research (IACRM), Academy of International Business (AIB), and International Organizations Network (ION). Dr. Guo is currently the Editor-in-Chief of New England Journal of Entrepreneurship.
Degrees and Certifications
- B.A. in English Literature from Sichuan International Studies University in China
- MBA from Oklahoma State University
- Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts Amherst
Dr. Guo’s has taught in the areas of Management, Organizational Behavior and International Management.
Research Interests & Grants
Her major research interests include cross-cultural management, self-initiated expatriation/repatriation, global careers, talent management, organizational justice, entrepreneurial processes and corporate entrepreneurship.
Honors, Awards & Fellowships
- 2012 the Wiley Blackwell Management and Organization Review Young Scholar Award
- 2012 & 2011 the Academy of Management International Management Division Best Reviewer Award
- 2011 the Academy of International Business 3rd Annual Emerging Scholar Award in Women's Entrepreneurship
- 2009 The Academy of Management International Management International Management Division Best Paper Award in Organizational Behavior/Human Resources Management/Organization Theory
- Best Paper Award in OB/HRM/OT from the International Management Division at the Academy of Management Annual Conference in 2009
- 2008-2009 Outstanding Teaching Award from Isenberg School of Management at UMass Amherst
Publications and Presentations
- Gupta, V. K., Guo, C., Canever, M., Yim, H. R., Sraw, G. K., and Liu, M. (2012) Institutional environment for entrepreneurship in rapidly emerging major economies: the case of Brazil, China, India and Korea. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, forthcoming.
- Guo, C., & Miller, J. K. (2012) Understanding Survivors’ Reactions to Downsizing in China, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 27(1), 27-47.
- Jiang, C. X., Zimmerman, M. A. & Guo, C. (2012). Growth of women-owned businesses: The effects of intangible resources and social competence, Journal of Business Diversity, 12(1).
- Roberto, M., Guo, C., & Jiang, C. X. 2011. Chang'an Automobile and the Chinese Automotive Industry, Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, 1(4), 1-17.
- Guo, C. & Miller, J. K. (2010) Guanxi Dynamics and Entrepreneurial Firm Creation and Development in China. Management and Organization Review, 6(2), 267-291
- Guo, C. & Al Ariss A. (2015). Human resource management of international migrants: Current theories and future research, The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 26(10), 1287-1297.
- Guo, C. & Miller, J. K. (2015). Meanings and dimensions of organizational justice and fairness in China: An inductive investigation, Management and Organization Review special issue on “Behavioral ethics, organizational justice, and social responsibility across contexts”, 11(1), 45-68.
- Guo, C., Jiang, C., and Yang, Q. (2014). "The Development of Organizational Capabilities and Corporate Entrepreneurial Processes: The Case of Chinese automobile Firms", accepted for publication in Thunderbird International Business Review, 56(6), 483-500.
- Lawter, L., Rua, T. and Guo, C. (2014). Can ethics be taught? Learning styles and ethics education, accepted for publication in Journal of Management Development, 33(6), 580-593.
- Porschitz, E., Guo, C. & Alves, J., (2012) The “Paths” and “Ladders” of “Sea Turtles:” How Do Young Chinese Returnees Understand Their Careers? Book chapter proposal accepted for Managing the New Workforce: International Perspectives on the Millennial Generation, edited by E. Ng, S. Lyons, and L. Schweitzer, E. Elgar., forthcoming.
- Lawter, L., Guo, C. & Rua, T. (2011) The disconnect between business ethics education and putting it into practice: How do we fix it? In Effectively Integrating Ethical Dimensions into Business Education edited by A. Stachowicz-Stanusch and C. Wankel, Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, North Carolina, pp. 233-251.
- Guo, C. (2014). Cultural convergence, divergence, crossvergence, monograph in Volume 6 International Management ofThe Wiley Encyclopedia of Management, edited by Vodosek, M., Hartog, D. N. D., &McNett, J. M., Wiley, pp.92-93.
- Giacobbe-Miller, J.K. & Guo, C. (2013.) Recruitment: International cross cultural perspective, book chapter inThe Oxford Handbook of Recruitment, edited by D. Cable and T. Yu.. Oxford University Press, New York, pp.402-422.
- Porschitz, E., Guo, C.&Alves, J., (2013) The “Paths” and “Ladders” of “Sea Turtles:” How Do Young Chinese Returnees Understand Their Careers? Book chapter proposal accepted for Managing the New Workforce: International Perspectives on the Millennial Generation, edited by E. Ng, S. Lyons, and L. Schweitzer, E. Elgar, pp. 86-106.
Recent Journal Articles