Martire Business & Communications Center
5401 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825
Earn a Degree in Hospitality, Resort and Tourism Management Beginning Fall 2018
Why study Hospitality and Tourism Management?
Hospitality and tourism ranks as one of the top ten largest industries in the United States and is a $3.5 trillion high-growth service industry. The hospitality industry is the second largest employer in the U.S. after the Federal Government and includes a number of interrelated businesses such as:
- Asset Management, Finance and Valuation
- Clubs and Resorts
- Cruise Lines
- Event Planning
- Sales and Marketing
- Theme Parks
- Travel Agents and Tour Operators
Why choose hospitality management at SHU?
The Jack Welch College of Business at SHU is an AACSB accredited institution. With it's location in Fairfield County and close proximity to the New York City metropolitan area, the area offers a rich concentration of hospitality and related businesses such as Tauck Travel, Priceline, Verizon, Marriott, Starwood and Delta that provide unique and valuable experiential learning and career opportunities for students.
What will I study?
The program coursework and experiential learning are designed to provide students with the required knowledge and skills to make them competitive in the market place and sought after by employers. To focus each student's education, concentrations/specializations are available in:
- Hotel, Resort, and Club Management
- Tourism Management
- Revenue, Pricing and Data Analytics Management
Will I have internship opportunities?
Student pursuing the Hospitality Management degree will complete a hospitality industry related experiential learning component as a requirement for graduation. Opportunities include Hotel, Resort and Club Management internships at the Great River Golf Course and the recently acquired General Electric property (West Campus) and Tourism and Management internships in Dingle, Ireland.
What are my career opportunities with a Hospitality Management degree?
Career opportunities include management positions worldwide in hotels, restaurants, resorts, wineries, spas, and a large variety of other service-oriented venues. The Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts 44% employment growth for the indsutry from 2010 to 2010. Employment outlook is high across various hospitality venues including:
- Hotel, Resorts, and Lodging Operations Management – 8% growth through 2024
- Operations Research Analytics [Data Analytics]– 30% growth through 2024
- Food and Beverage Operations Management – 5% growth through 2024
- Meeting and Planning Management – 10% growth through 2024
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (May 2015)
- The median annual wage for lodging managers was $49,720 with the highest 10 percent earning more than $94,330.
- The median annual wage for food service managers was $48,690 with the highest 10 percent earning more than $83,010.
- The median annual wage for meeting, convention, and event planners was $46,840 with the highest 10 percent earning more than $82,050.
Dingle Harbor, County Kerry, Ireland
Are there special admission requirements?
No, we have an open admission policy. Incoming first-year students and transfer students may declare the Hospitality Management major when you apply for admission to Sacred Heart University.
New Hospitality, Resort and Tourism Management Program to Launch in Fall 2018
September 25, 2017
Sacred Heart University’s Jack Welch College of Business (WCOB) is establishing a new bachelor’s degree in hospitality, resort and tourism management. The program will begin in fall 2018.