Lucjan T. Orlowski, Ph.D.
Prior to joining Sacred Heart University, Professor Orlowski taught at New York University and before that at the Karol Adamiecki University of Economics in Katowice, Poland.
He collaborates with a number of research institutes and universities around the world. Some of his current and past research affiliations include: Research Professor at the Halle Institute for Economic Research in Halle, Germany; a Senior Fellow at the Center for Economic and Social Research (CASE) in Warsaw; a Research Fellow at the William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan; a Senior Fellow at the Center for European Integration Studies (ZEI) at the University of Bonn; and Research Professor at the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW) in Berlin. He has guest-lectured at the University of Rome III, the University of Notre Dame, the University of Warsaw, and the School for Modern Business Studies in Hungary.
Professor Orlowski has been advising several financial and government institutions in the United States and Europe. From 1998 to 2001 he served as a Member of the Macroeconomic Policy Council of Poland’s Ministry of Finance and from 2002 to 2006 as a Senior Adviser to the National Bank of Poland. He was a member of the U.S. Government Mission to Eastern Europe.
He is a member of Executive Board of Association for Comparative Economic Studies (ACES) and a member of the Advisory Council of CASE in Warsaw. He served on the Advisory Board of the DRI-WEFA Group in Washington, D.C.
He serves on Editorial Boards of Comparative Economic Studies and Banks and Bank Systems. He is an Associate Editor of Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, a Regional Editor of Journal of Emerging Markets and a Guest Editor ofOpen Economies Review and Economic Systems.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D. in International Economics from the Karol Adamiecki University of Economics in Katowice, Poland
- Masters in Economics from Karol Adamiecki University of Economics in Katowice, Poland
Honors, Awards & Fellowships
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, School of Finance First Foreign Visiting Professor
- European Commission DG ECFIN, Visiting Fellow
- Yale University, Saybrook College, Associate Fellow
- Kiel Institute Of World Economics, Visiting Research Fellow
- Sacred Heart University Teaching Excellence Award
- Sacred Heart University Faculty Research Awards (1994 and 2002)
- Jack Welch College of Business Research Award
- American Council on Education Fellowship
- Exxon Award for Academic Excellence and University Service
- Fulbright Fellowship
- Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award
Publications and Presentations
- Financial Crisis and Extreme Market Risks: Evidence from Europe” Review of Financial Economics, 21 (3), 2012
- Extreme Risks in Financial Markets and Monetary Policies of the Euro-Candidates” (with H. Gabrisch) Comparative Economic Studies, 53 ( 4), 2011
- "Stages of the 2007/2008 global financial crisis: Is there a "wandering asset-price bubble"?", Economics E-journal, Discussion paper No. 2008-43
- "Relative inflation-forecast as monetary policy target for convergence to the euro", Journal of Policy Modeling, 30(6), 2008
- "Advancing inflation targeting in Central Europe: Strategies, policy rules and empirical evidence", Comparative Economic Studies 50(3), 2008
- "Monetary convergence of the EU accession countries to the eurozone: A theoretical framework and policy implications", Journal of Banking and Finance 29(1), 2005
Professor Orlowski has authored books, chapters in edited volumes and numerous articles in academic journals on monetary policy, exchange rates, interest rates, and international financial markets volatility. His volume "Transition and Growth in Post-Communist Countries: The Ten-Year Experience", E.Elgar Publishing Inc. was honored with the 2002 Choice Magazine Award for Outstanding Title of the Year.
Selected papers published in scientific journals: