Martire Business & Communications Center
5401 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825
The Business Economics program gives students a solid understanding of today’s global business environment and market structure. It combines in-depth study of economic theory with business applications within an ethical framework. Students acquire the analytical and problem solving skills needed to investigate and critically evaluate economic trends and business conditions. Our program is designed to prepare students to succeed in business and government careers, graduate schools, law schools as well as to become better-informed and productive citizens.
The educational objectives of the Business Economics program are to enable students to:
- Interpret current economic events and conditions confronting society (e.g. deficits, inflation, unemployment, poverty, economic growth)
- Understand the economic factors affecting individuals (e.g. wages, cost of living, taxes)
- Gain an understanding of how economics impacts the decision-making process of firms.
- Develop an awareness of the ethical dimensions of economics
- Acquire the analytical skills needed to investigate and critically evaluate economic effects of various policy actions at the local, state, national, and international governmental levels
Students Participate in College Fed Challenge
November 8, 2016
Fairfield, Conn. - Beginning in the early 2000s, with encouragement from Professor Bridget Lyons, Sacred Heart University became involved in the College Fed Challenge Competition. Since then, students and faculty members have worked to progress in the competition.
Global Alpha Forum Spotlights Welch College of Business
October 17, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn.—Two Sacred Heart University professors had the distinction of representing SHU at this year’s Global Alpha Forum investment conference in Stamford. Mark Ritter, executive-in-residence at SHU’s Welch College of Business (WCOB), and Lucjan Orlowski, professor of economics, each had significant roles at the forum, for which the University was a gold sponsor. The engagement served as an excellent way for SHU to highlight its doctorate of business administration and finance programs, as well as the WCOB as a whole.
Welch College of Business Makes Princeton Review's Best Business Schools List for 2017
October 7, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Princeton Review has ranked Sacred Heart University's Jack Welch College of Business an outstanding business school once again. The education services company profiles SHU in the new 2017 edition of its annual book, The Best 294 Business Schools.The Princeton Review's survey asked students at the 294 business schools about their school's academics, student body and campus life as well as about themselves and their career plans.