The following visa requirements only apply to students who have applied to the Summer Institute for Global Business Management. Other summer programs on the Sacred Heart campus have their own visa requirements that may differ.
Sacred Heart Summer Institute for Global Business Management requires international students to have a visa appropriate for academic study. Summer Session students are not allowed to enter the country using a Tourist Visa (B-1/B-2) or WT/WB Visa Waiver. Applicants are able to describe their visa situation as part of their online application and will be contacted directly if additional information is needed.
For students studying in the United States with an I-20 sponsored by another institution:
- Students who will be returning to the same educational institution following their summer at Sacred Heart University are not required to obtain a Sacred Heart sponsored I-20.
- Students who are currently attending an educational institution to which they will not be returning following their summer at Sacred Heart University will need to contact an international advisor at their home institution to transfer their I-20 to Sacred Heart University. Students in this situation must notify the Student Life Office once the transfer process has been initiated. In addition, students will need to follow the directions noted below to obtain a Sacred Heart-sponsored I-20.
Obtaining a Sacred Heart-sponsored I-20
To obtain an F-1 student Visa, students must be sponsored for an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status). Sacred Heart University will sponsor the I-20 for students who are admitted to the Summer Institute for Global Business Management. The following documents are required in order to process an I-20.
- Proof of Funding document: A bank statement with U.S. dollar figures that verifies the student, the student's family and/or sponsor's ability to pay the costs required to attend Sacred Heart University for the summer session. The statement should be officially certified and signed by a bank official and dated within six (6) months of enrolling at Sacred Heart University for the summer session. A sample Proof of Funding document will be made available upon admission to the program. The original document must be sent to the Summer Institute for Global Business Management office via mail or express courier service before an I-20 will be generated. Our office cannot accept documents sent by email or fax. It is recommended that the student request two originals of this document: one to submit to Sacred Heart, and one to bring with them to their appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- Current Passport Photocopy: A photocopy of the identification page(s) of the students passport, sent to the Summer Institute for Global Business Management office via mail or express courier service. Students should include this with their Proof of Funding document. Additional information regarding the process of obtaining an I-20 will be sent to students once they have been offered admission to the program.
How Much Does it Cost?
International students requiring a Sacred Heart-sponsored I-20 have a $65 Visa Processing Fee due during the acceptance process of the Summer Session application. This fee offsets the cost of generating and shipping the I-20. Additional fees will be charged when registering the I-20 within the SEVIS system, and in obtaining your visa stamp from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. These additional charges are not part of Sacred Heart’s fee for generating your I-20.
When Will I Receive my I-20?
Once the Summer Session Office receives and verifies the accuracy of the required visa documents, in most cases, an I-20 is generated and shipped to the students within five business days. I-20s are sent to students via express courier service and usually take three to five days to be delivered. Once the I-20 is shipped, the student is emailed the tracking number of the package. In most cases, students should expect to receive their I-20 within 7-10 days after their visa documents are verified from Summer Institute for Global Business Management staff. Please note the Summer Institute for Global Business Management office is not responsible for delays in receiving visa documents or difficulties in scheduling embassy appointments.
Obtaining an F-1 Student Visa
Once a student receives their I-20 from Sacred Heart University, the following items must be completed in order to obtain an F-1 Student Visa.
- Go to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) SEVIS I-901 website www.FMJfee.com to pay the SEVIS fee to the U.S. Government and obtain a receipt.
- GETTING A U.S. VISA In order to obtain a U.S. visa you will need to interview at the U.S. consulate or embassy at your place of residence. You will need to complete Form DS-160. Attach all the documentation you presented to obtain your Form
I-20 as well as your SEVIS Fee receipt, your Form I-20, your academic records and tests scores, your letter of admission, and proof of compelling ties. (Please note----Canadian citizens are not required to obtain a visa).
Compelling ties are those things that tie you to your country and which prevent you from permanently moving to the United States. The best proofs of compelling ties are family ties, property, and previous U.S. travel. Be aware that the interview will be conducted in English. Prepare yourself so you can answer questions about your intention to study at Sacred Heart University. If you have more questions about the visa process, visit the U.S. Department of State Visas website for contact information.
All international students obtaining a Sacred Heart sponsored I-20 are required to enroll in the entire four week program. The Summer Session Office will monitor enrollment throughout the Summer Quarter to ensure compliance. Students who do not comply with the program requirements will be withdrawn from the program and required to leave the country immediately.
International students with an F-1 Student Visa are able to enter the United States up to 30 days prior to the “report date” listed on the I-20, and stay in the country for up to 60 days following the “completion of studies” date. Please note that students are encouraged to arrive at least one week before the start of the program. Students may not move into the residences prior to start date.
Mandatory Orientation for International Students
Students with a Sacred Heart-sponsored I-20 are required to verify their presence on campus at the mandatory orientation scheduled on date. Detailed information on how to fulfill this requirement will be sent by email prior to arrival. Students are required to present the following documents as part of the verification process:
- Passport with F-1 student visa stamp
- I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
- Original I-20