Research activities for Welch College of Business faculty have grown steadily since the school received accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) in 2006, said Dr. Khawaja Mamun, assistant professor of Economics and Finance. “The designation is a huge honor, achieved by tremendously hard work, that puts Sacred Heart in an elite group of fewer than 5 percent of business schools worldwide.”
One example is a $45,000 grant for a group of WCOB professors to carry out advanced research designed to help financial institutions better understand financial futures and, in turn, better manage and marginalize potential financial risks, is one of the many recent research accomplishments achieved by faculty. The extremely competitive grant was awarded by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange Group Foundation. Outcomes of the studies will be presented at international and domestic financial seminars.
Additional notable research-related accomplishments by business faculty members include:
- ŸPublication of more than 150 articles in peer-reviewed journals over the past five years. Of these, 32 were published this past academic year
- Participation in 240 conferences between 2006 and 2011, at which many Sacred Heart professors received “best paper” awards
- Authorship of countless book chapters and newspaper articles
- Presentation of on-campus Brown Bag Seminars designed to educate the Sacred Heart community about current and ongoing research projects
- ŸCoordination of regular, on-campus research forums, where accomplished experts from renowned institutions present studies and findings to Welch College faculty members
- Establishment of an annual, on-campus Research Day to showcase faculty research. More than 250 students attended the 2011-12 event
- Creation of an online Welch College of Business Working Paper Series [http://digitalcommons.sacredheart.edu/wcob/] that offers downloads of abstracts and full papers written by faculty and students
Sacred Heart and the Jack Welch College of Business were also chosen to host the 2012 Annual Meeting of the Academy of International Business – Northeast Chapter from October 11 -13, 2012. This is the first regional conference the Welch College of Business will host. It’s expected to be attended by leading businesses professionals and scholars from around the world.
Stay tuned for more information about the conference and any new grants awarded to our Business School faculty.