101 Oakview Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
Transform Student Lives – And Your Opportunities
Become a sought-after graduate of the Sacred Heart University teaching program, and open the door to opportunities in school districts across the state and throughout the nation.
Earn Your Connecticut Public School Teacher Certification
The Farrington College of Education’s graduate program leads to certification in Elementary Education (grades 1-6) or Secondary School (grades 7-12; Biology, Chemistry, English, General Science, Mathematics, Social Studies/ History and Spanish).
Through the program, you will:
- Join one of the largest private teacher preparation programs in Connecticut
- Gain the most up-to-date teaching methods
- Learn from instructors with real-world, public-school experience
- Apply your knowledge in elementary and secondary school environments with diverse student populations
- Successful completion of a Connecticut state-approved teacher preparation program
- Passing scores in the Praxis I Test, CT Foundations of Reading Exam (for elementary certification), and subject area Praxis II Test (for secondary certification)
- A bachelor’s degree, with a GPA of 2.67 or higher for admission to a teacher preparation program
- If you wish to transfer your certification to another state, find certification and licensure requirements on the department of education website for your state.
|Maine||Massachusetts||New Hampshire||New Jersey|
|New York||Rhode Island||Pennsylvania||Vermont|
Sacred Heart annually recommends about 300 students to the State Department of Education for teaching certification.
Bring your education to the classroom through the Graduate Teacher Internship Program
This year-long tuition-paid, full-time experience allows you to gain valuable skills while you work in a school environment, build professional relationships and apply your practice to course instruction.
Additional Program Benefits
- Inclusive curriculums designed to address the critical needs in our nation’s schools, with coursework that may be taken on a full-time or part-time basis
- Available Five-Year Program for undergraduates who wish to earn a Bachelor’s degree in an academic major, initial teaching certification, and a Master’s degree
- A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), open to students currently seeking or have their teacher certification, and students who are in the education field
- Comprehensive Special Education K-12 Cross Endorsement for certified Connecticut teachers
- A sixth-year Certificate of Advanced Studies in Literacy degree program
- Engaged faculty who help educators hone their teaching skills
- Leadership programs that prepare successful school administrators
- Two International Studies programs that allow students to explore education in global contexts
Prepare to teach in today’s complex learning environments. Apply for your Teacher Certification in Elementary or Secondary Education today.
In Transformational Move, Sacred Heart University Acquires Former GE Global Headquarters
November 21, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Sacred Heart University has entered into an agreement with General Electric to purchase its 66-acre former global headquarters in Fairfield. “This is a transformational moment in the history of Sacred Heart University,” said SHU President John J. Petillo. “With this property, SHU has a unique opportunity to contribute to education, research, health care and the community. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for us, and it also reflects our long-standing relationship with GE that includes former GE CEO Jack Welch, for whom our College of Business is named.”
Singh Welcomed as Newest Board of Trustees Member
September 13, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn.—Sacred Heart University has named private investor Ravi Singh to its Board of Trustees, the institution’s top governing body. Singh, who lives in New York City with his daughter Maya, is a former senior executive in the investment banking industry. He also is the lead investor and chairman of the YogaSmoga board. In addition, Singh is lead investor on Wearsafe Labs board; an investor, executive partner and chairman of the TruMid Financial executive board; and board member for Magic Pictures International.
Faculty and Students Inspire at New Student Convocation
September 9, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn.—Sacred Heart University’s class of 2020 received a warm welcome and words of wisdom at the new student convocation ceremony recently. On a muggy, end-of-August day, hundreds of freshmen made their way up the hill by Curtis Hall to the upbeat sounds of the marching band. They slowly filed into the William H. Pitt Center, where they were greeted by professors, deans, upperclassmen and administrators.