101 Oakview Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
Transform Student Lives – And Your Opportunities
Become a sought-after graduate of the Sacred Heart University teaching program, and open the door to opportunities in school districts across the state and throughout the nation.
Earn Your Connecticut Public School Teacher Certification
The Farrington College of Education’s graduate program leads to certification in Elementary Education (grades 1-6) or Secondary School (grades 7-12; Biology, Chemistry, English, General Science, Mathematics, Social Studies/ History and Spanish).
Through the program, you will:
- Join one of the largest private teacher preparation programs in Connecticut
- Gain the most up-to-date teaching methods
- Learn from instructors with real-world, public-school experience
- Apply your knowledge in elementary and secondary school environments with diverse student populations
- Successful completion of a Connecticut state-approved teacher preparation program
- Passing scores in the Praxis I Test, CT Foundations of Reading Exam (for elementary certification), and subject area Praxis II Test (for secondary certification)
- A bachelor’s degree, with a GPA of 2.67 or higher for admission to a teacher preparation program
- If you wish to transfer your certification to another state, find certification and licensure requirements on the department of education website for your state.
|Maine||Massachusetts||New Hampshire||New Jersey|
|New York||Rhode Island||Pennsylvania||Vermont|
Sacred Heart annually recommends about 300 students to the State Department of Education for teaching certification.
Bring your education to the classroom through the Graduate Teacher Internship Program
This year-long tuition-paid, full-time experience allows you to gain valuable skills while you work in a school environment, build professional relationships and apply your practice to course instruction.
Additional Program Benefits
- Inclusive curriculums designed to address the critical needs in our nation’s schools, with coursework that may be taken on a full-time or part-time basis
- Available Five-Year Program for undergraduates who wish to earn a Bachelor’s degree in an academic major, initial teaching certification, and a Master’s degree
- A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), open to students currently seeking or have their teacher certification, and students who are in the education field
- Comprehensive Special Education K-12 Cross Endorsement for certified Connecticut teachers
- A sixth-year Certificate of Advanced Studies in Literacy degree program
- Engaged faculty who help educators hone their teaching skills
- Leadership programs that prepare successful school administrators
- Two International Studies programs that allow students to explore education in global contexts
Prepare to teach in today’s complex learning environments. Apply for your Teacher Certification in Elementary or Secondary Education today.
Annual CAPP Breakfast Celebrates Longtime Catholic Educator
January 20, 2017
FAIRFIELD, Conn.—Longtime Catholic educator Sr. Mary Grace Walsh, provost for education at the Archdiocese of Hartford, is this year’s honoree for Sacred Heart University’s Ninth Annual Centesimus Annus Pro Pontifice (CAPP) Educator’s Breakfast. Walsh will receive the Educator of the Year award at a breakfast in SHU’s University Commons on Sunday, March 12, and Bishop Frank J. Caggiano will be the keynote speaker. For tickets, call 203-365-4470.
King’s Legacy Honored at Special Event
January 19, 2017
FAIRFIELD, Conn.— Sacred Heart University honored Martin Luther King, Jr., this week with a diverse event filled with reflection, spoken word poetry and music. “Today is a celebration,” senior Christian Carter told the audience filled with students, faculty, staff and community members. “And it’s an opportunity to reflect.” Carter served as the master of ceremonies for the event.
Standard & Poor's Upgrades Sacred Heart University to A Rating
December 13, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Standard & Poor's has raised Sacred Heart University's long-term rating to A from BBB+. "In the midst of all the other exciting news of Sacred Heart's extraordinary successes comes this news of a jump of two steps in our rating," said SHU President John J. Petillo. "S&P's report noted our growing enrollment and diverse geographic footprint as reasons for our success."