101 Oakview Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
Transform Student Lives – And Your Opportunities
Become a sought-after graduate of the Sacred Heart University teaching program, and open the door to opportunities in school districts across the state and throughout the nation.
Earn Your Connecticut Public School Teacher Certification
The Farrington College of Education’s graduate program leads to certification in Elementary Education (grades 1-6) or Secondary School (grades 7-12; Biology, Chemistry, English, General Science, Mathematics, Social Studies/ History and Spanish).
Through the program, you will:
- Join one of the largest private teacher preparation programs in Connecticut
- Gain the most up-to-date teaching methods
- Learn from instructors with real-world, public-school experience
- Apply your knowledge in elementary and secondary school environments with diverse student populations
- Successful completion of a Connecticut state-approved teacher preparation program
- Passing scores in the Praxis I Test, CT Foundations of Reading Exam (for elementary certification), and subject area Praxis II Test (for secondary certification)
- A bachelor’s degree, with a GPA of 2.67 or higher for admission to a teacher preparation program
- If you wish to transfer your certification to another state, find certification and licensure requirements on the department of education website for your state.
|Maine||Massachusetts||New Hampshire||New Jersey|
|New York||Rhode Island||Pennsylvania||Vermont|
Sacred Heart annually recommends about 300 students to the State Department of Education for teaching certification.
Bring your education to the classroom through the Graduate Teacher Internship Program
This year-long tuition-paid, full-time experience allows you to gain valuable skills while you work in a school environment, build professional relationships and apply your practice to course instruction.
Additional Program Benefits
- Inclusive curriculums designed to address the critical needs in our nation’s schools, with coursework that may be taken on a full-time or part-time basis
- Available Five-Year Program for undergraduates who wish to earn a Bachelor’s degree in an academic major, initial teaching certification, and a Master’s degree
- A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), open to students currently seeking or have their teacher certification, and students who are in the education field
- Comprehensive Special Education K-12 Cross Endorsement for certified Connecticut teachers
- A sixth-year Certificate of Advanced Studies in Literacy degree program
- Engaged faculty who help educators hone their teaching skills
- Leadership programs that prepare successful school administrators
- Two International Studies programs that allow students to explore education in global contexts
Prepare to teach in today’s complex learning environments. Apply for your Teacher Certification in Elementary or Secondary Education today.
Rupendra Paliwal Named Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
June 21, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Rupendra Paliwal has been named provost and vice president for Academic Affairs at Sacred Heart University. Paliwal has served as acting provost for the past six months. “In his short time as acting provost, Rupendra has demonstrated a collaborative leadership style focused on actions and outcomes. He has shown the ability to understand diverse viewpoints and to tackle tough and complex issues,” said SHU President John J. Petillo. “As our next provost, I am confident that Rupendra will assiduously promote our mission by working collaboratively to further strengthen the academic reputation of the University, its colleges and programs, while fostering a culture of innovation and experimentation.”
Sacred Heart Aims Spotlight on Future Literacy Leaders
May 26, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn.—Sacred Heart University put the spotlight on reading and language arts recently with its fourth annual literacy conference, “Motivating through Literacy: Practice, Perspective, Promise.” The conference, which took place at the University’s Cambridge Commons in Trumbull, was orchestrated by Karen Waters, SHU’s program director for literacy in the Isabelle Farrington College of Education’s Department of Leadership and Literacy.
Sacred Heart University Celebrates 50th Commencement
May 15, 2016
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – More than 1,900 Sacred Heart University students began a new journey this weekend after receiving diplomas and words of advice and encouragement from business and religious leaders, scholars and classmates. President John J. Petillo reflected on the students’ past four years and how their time spent at the University transformed them in substance and in spirit. “Continue to chase your dreams unfettered by the naysayers. May the knowledge and experiences you gained here enable you to be women and men for others,” Petillo said.