101 Oakview Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
Transform Student Lives – And Your Opportunities
Become a sought-after graduate of the Sacred Heart University teaching program, and open the door to opportunities in school districts across the state and throughout the nation.
Earn Your Connecticut Public School Teacher Certification
The Farrington College of Education’s graduate program leads to certification in Elementary Education (grades 1-6) or Secondary School (grades 7-12; Biology, Chemistry, English, General Science, Mathematics, Social Studies/ History and Spanish).
Through the program, you will:
- Join one of the largest private teacher preparation programs in Connecticut
- Gain the most up-to-date teaching methods
- Learn from instructors with real-world, public-school experience
- Apply your knowledge in elementary and secondary school environments with diverse student populations
- Successful completion of a Connecticut state-approved teacher preparation program
- Passing scores in the Praxis I Test, CT Foundations of Reading Exam (for elementary certification), and subject area Praxis II Test (for secondary certification)
- A bachelor’s degree, with a GPA of 2.67 or higher for admission to a teacher preparation program
- If you wish to transfer your certification to another state, find certification and licensure requirements on the department of education website for your state.
|Maine||Massachusetts||New Hampshire||New Jersey|
|New York||Rhode Island||Pennsylvania||Vermont|
Sacred Heart annually recommends about 300 students to the State Department of Education for teaching certification.
Bring your education to the classroom through the Graduate Teacher Internship Option
This year-long tuition-paid, full-time experience allows you to gain valuable skills while you work in a school environment, build professional relationships and apply your practice to course instruction.
Additional Program Benefits
- Inclusive curriculums designed to address the critical needs in our nation’s schools, with coursework that may be taken on a full-time or part-time basis
- Available Five-Year Program for undergraduates who wish to earn a Bachelor’s degree in an academic major, initial teaching certification, and a Master’s degree
- A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), open to students currently seeking or have their teacher certification, and students who are in the education field
- Comprehensive Special Education K-12 Cross Endorsement for certified Connecticut teachers
- A sixth-year Certificate of Advanced Studies in Literacy degree program
- Engaged faculty who help educators hone their teaching skills
- Leadership programs that prepare successful school administrators
- Two International Studies programs that allow students to explore education in global contexts
Prepare to teach in today’s complex learning environments. Apply for your Teacher Certification in Elementary or Secondary Education today.
Classes Without Walls Project Unites Area Children for Learning and Fun
June 26, 2017
FAIRFIELD, Conn.—Faculty at Sacred Heart University’s Isabelle Farrington College of Education brought area children together for its second annual Classes Without Walls project. Established by professors Randall Glading and Charles Britton, Classes Without Walls joined third-, fourth- and fifth-grade students from varying socioeconomic backgrounds to work and learn together.
SHU Recognized by Colleges of Distinction for Academic Excellence
June 14, 2017
Sacred Heart University has yet again been recognized by the higher education organization Colleges of Distinction for its academic excellence. Colleges of Distinction’s mission is to help parents and students find the right colleges by producing a guidebook with the necessary information on the finest colleges and universities. The organization most recently awarded SHU with badges for its first-rate business, education and nursing programs.
Sacred Heart University Names Communications Strategist to Board of Trustees
June 1, 2017
FAIRFIELD, Conn.—Sacred Heart University has named Katie Burke, senior strategist and chief of staff at Edelman, a global communications marketing firm, to its board of trustees, the University’s top governing body.