101 Oakview Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
Sacred Heart University’s Farrington College of Education is proud to offer a new master’s concentration, the Master of Arts in Teaching in Adult TESOL. This program is in response to the continued national and statewide need for highly qualified instructors of Adult TESOL and to the demand among Adult TESOL instructors for a program of study that results in a master’s degree. Sacred Heart University already offers the 088 Connecticut Certification in Adult TESOL. This program builds on the 088 certificate by offering four additional courses as part of a new concentration for the MAT degree.
The MAT concentration in Adult TESOL will prepare graduates to:
- Understand the multicultural and diverse needs of the adult English as a Second Language (ESL) student.
- Teach with a variety of expressive communications methods and understand their students’ expressive and receptive ways of learning.
- Understand the process of first and second language acquisition in children and adults.
- Develop and demonstrate effective teaching skills in adult TESOL.
- Develop an understanding of special education for children and adults who have special needs.
- Find the most current and best available research to develop a teaching portfolio that is practical and effective.
- Demonstrate knowledge of up-to-date instructional technologies.