Certified Teachers applying to the Isabelle Farrington College of Education must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
Other admission requirements include:
- Non-refundable application fee
- Copy of your official teaching certificate
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to your future potential as a teacher
- Official transcript(s) from all colleges and universities previously attended. (Sacred Heart University students and alumni of SHU may authorize the Office of Graduate Admissions to obtain their official SHU transcripts on their behalf.) An authorization form can be printed and mailed or faxed to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Current resume
- Signed Education Applicant Statement of Understanding
Plan of Study: Once you have submitted official transcripts and a copy of your teaching certificate you may complete the plan of study requirement. The purpose of the plan of study is to outline the course curriculum and document a tentative plan for course completion. Please contact Yvonne Temple in the College of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your meeting with a faculty advisor.
*Effective July 1, 2010, Connecticut State law requires all students in teacher/educator certification programs to undergo state and national criminal history background checks before participating in school-based field experiences. The procedures for obtaining the background checks and the length of time they are valid will be established by the State Department of Education and cannot be altered. As part of the background check you will need to be fingerprinted. If you fail to pass the background check, you may be unable to complete your chosen degree program at Sacred Heart University.
Admission to the M.Ed. program is offered on a rolling basis throughout the year.