Reading and Language Arts | 9 credits
- ENG 245 American Literature for Elementary Educators 3 CR
- ENG 344 Studies in World Literature 3 CR
- ED 343 Introduction to Language and Literacy 3 CR
Social Studies | 9 credits
- GS 150 World Geography 3 CR
- HI 222 United States History to 1865 3 CR
- OR HI 223 United States History since 1865 3 CR
- PO 121 Introduction to American Government 3 CR
Science | 9-10 credits
- BI 109 Biology For Elementary Teachers 3 CR
- OR BI 111 Concepts in Biology I: Molecules to Cells 3 CR
- AND BI 114 Concepts in Biology II Lab 1 CR (For concentration in science/biology)
- CH 101 The Physical World 2 CR
- CH 102 Physical Science Lab 1 CR
- PY 101 Earth and Space Science 2 CR
- PY 102 Earth and Space Science Lab 1 CR
Mathematics | 10 credits
- MA 107 Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers 4 CR
- MA 131 Statistics for Decision Making 3 CR
- MA 211 Geometry for Educators 3 CR
Areas of Concentration | 6-8 credits
Coursework in one of the following areas of concentration is required: English/Arts, Social Studies, Mathematics, or Science. Coursework for concentrations in English/Arts and Social Studies must be at the 300 level or higher.
- For English/Arts, students choose one course in the Department of English and one course in the Department of Art and Design or in the Minor in Performing Arts (6 credits).
- For Social Studies, the two courses must be in the same department—students choose courses in the departments of Foreign Languages and Culture, History, Political Science, Psychology, or Sociology. For History, one of the two courses must be HI 301 Historical Method and Criticism (6 credits).
- For Math, two semesters of calculus are required: MA 151 and MA 152—Calculus I and II—4 credits each (8 credits).
- For Science, students choose all courses in the Department of Biology or the Department of Chemistry and Physics. For those seeking a concentration in Science/Biology, students will take BI 111 and BI 114 instead of BI 109. For those seeking a concentration in Chemistry or Physics, concentration must include the three credit CH 117 General Organic and Biochemistry or the four credit PY 100 Elements of Physics (6-7 credits).