Application deadlines are as follows:
April 1st of the candidate’s freshman year OR
November 1st of the candidate’s sophomore year
All application materials listed below must be received by the Office of Graduate Admissions to be eligible for an interview and to take Education courses!
- Complete the Online Graduate Application Form
- Submit an essay (1-2 pages) stating the reasons you wish to pursue a career in teaching (Please note this essay may be sent to school districts if applying to the Teacher Internship Program)
- Submit official transcript(s) from all colleges and universities previously attended. (Sacred Heart University students may authorize the Office of Graduate Admissions to obtain their official SHU transcripts on their behalf.) An authorization form can be printed and emailed or faxed to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Meet the Praxis I Examination requirement for prospective teachers either through successful exam results or State of Connecticut DOE official waiver
- Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to your future potential as a teacher (uploaded through your portal, faxed or e-mailed as an attachment)
- Submit a current resume (uploaded, faxed or e-mailed as an attachment)
- Meet with a faculty advisor in the Education Department to develop a preliminary plan of study for completion of the program. Please call the Education Department directly at 203-371-7808 to make an appointment. Please ask to speak with an advisor familiar with your content area if interested in Secondary Education certification.
- Release proof of your successful background check (instructions for completing the background check)*. To register for an appointment though CES, sign up online.
The final step in the application process is to particpate in a group style interview with the Education Admissions Committee. Invitations to interview will be sent once all materials above are received and reviewed by the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Note: Students applying to the Isabelle Farrington College of Education 5 Year Program must meet the State of Connecticut required 2.75 undergraduate cumulative GPA to be considered for admission. Please contact Tara Chudy at firstname.lastname@example.org or (203) 365-4735 for questions regarding this requirement.
Application materials should be submitted via email, fax, or hand delivered directly to:
Office Of Graduate Admissions
Sacred Heart University
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825
Materials can also be uploaded to the application portal!