101 Oakview Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
Isabelle Farrington College of Education
Sacred Heart University’s Isabelle Farrington College of Education is proud to offer the 6th Year Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in literacy. The CAS in literacy is a 36 credit program preparing prospective literacy professionals to address the diverse needs of rapidly changing populations through dynamic coursework and rich experiences that integrate research-based theory with practical application. Clinical experiences include authentic opportunities for reading candidates to hone their practice through one-on-one tutoring, mentoring and coaching preservice teachers in a public school setting, using data-based instruction to address the needs of students, and designing staff development consistent with the needs of a school or district.
The CAS in literacy is a two-tiered program yielding state endorsements in reading/ language arts: the Remedial Reading/ Remedial Language Arts Specialist (102) and Reading Consultant (097) Certificates. (097). The CLSP candidate has the option to proceed from one program to the other in seamless transition or stagger the schedule to accommodate his or her needs.
Tier I: Remedial Reading and Remedial Language Arts Teacher Certification (102). The first 21 credits of the program are applied to the Connecticut Remedial Reading and Remedial Language Arts Certification (102). Candidates applying for the CLSP must have earned a masters degree, possess a valid teaching certificate, and have taken a course in special education. By program completion candidates must be able to demonstrate at least three years of experience in which the position required a valid teaching certificate. Therefore, candidates are eligible to apply for state certification (102) after the successful completion of program requirements and 30 months successful classroom experience working under a valid teaching certificate. Classes are scheduled for late afternoon and evenings to accommodate the work schedules of full-time teachers.
Tier II: Reading and Language Arts Consultant (097). The prerequisite for admittance into the 097 program is the (102) Remedial Reading and Remedial Language Arts Certificate. Therefore, candidates applying for admittance into the program must have a valid teaching certificate, 30 months of full-time teaching experience, and have completed all program requirements as stipulated within the (102) plan of study. Candidates are eligible to apply for state certification (097) after serving for 10 months in a position that requires the 102 certificate.
- The CLSP degree requires completion of 36 credits, 21 of which can be applied to 102 certification and 12 of which can be applied to 097 certification.
- Candidates must complete all requirements for the CLSP degree within six years to date of the completion of the first course.
- Courses at the “EDR” level only are applicable to the CLSP degree and 102 Certification.
- Candidates must have obtained a masters degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Must hold an Educator’s Certificate and have taught for three successful years before applying for CT certification.
- Candidates seeking 097 who have not completed 102 at SHU will be required to submit an Admissions Essay stating their vision for the reading specialist in the 21st century.
- Eligible candidates will be required to apply for graduation. Further information on deadlines and graduation cycle is available through the Registrar’s Office.