Horizons at SHU will be recruiting and selecting a total of 17 kindergarten students for the 2017 summer program. Applicants will be considered from low income Bridgeport families with students currently in kindergarten in the Bridgeport schools listed below. Students will be selected based on academic potential (can be above, at, or below grade level), family support, financial need, school recommendation, and demonstrated good behavior.
To be admitted to Horizons at SHU in grades K-5, the applicant must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Applicants must be from a low-income family. A 2015 or 2016 tax return 1040 cover sheet is required.
- For our kindergarten class, applicants must be enrolled in kindergarten during the 2016-2017 school year.
- Applicants will be prioritized if the child attends one of the following Bridgeport schools during the 2016-2017 school year:
- Luis Munoz Marin
- Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Cathedral Academy (St. Raphael Campus)
- St. Ann Elementary School -
- St. Andrews Academy Bridgeport
Applicants from other Bridgeport schools will be placed on a waiting list.
It is our expectation that our accepted students and their families will:
- Commit to academic achievement in school and at Horizons at SHU.
- Intend to participate in Horizons at SHU through the twelfth grade.
- Fully participate in the summer and Saturday Academy sessions, as well as family events.
- Schedule family vacations and trips around our program dates to avoid conflicts.
- Complete required program paperwork and pay the enrollment fee by due dates.
Applying to Horizons at SHU
Each spring, we admit a class of 17 new kindergarteners approximately 50% boys and 50% girls. We also fill available vacancies in the other grades, however, each year the number of openings in those grades is extremely limited.
The completed application is due April 1, 2017 (The earlier the better). An application is considered complete when the Horizons office has received the application form, most recent report card, teacher assessment, an IEP or 504 plan (if applicable) and a 2015 or 2016 tax return cover sheet.
- Please fill out one application for each child applying to the program. Be sure to answer every question; the application must be filled out completely for your child to be considered for admission. (See application links below)
- Attach a copy of the child’s most recent report card.
- If your child has an IEP or 504 plan, please include a copy with the application.
- Give the assessment form to your child's teacher, and make sure it is completed and received by the Horizons office by the April 1, 2017 deadline.
- As proof of income, a 2015 or 2016 tax return is required.
- Do not send money; there is no fee to apply to Horizons. The $30.00 fee is payable upon acceptance into the program.
Admission decisions will be released by May 17, 2017. Admitted students will be required to attend the June 3rd spring Saturday Academy. A mandatory parent orientation will also take place that morning. If your child is not admitted, he/she will be placed on a waiting list in the event a space becomes available.
Our 2017 summer program dates are Monday through Friday, June 26th through August 4th from (8:30am-3:30pm). During the school year, Saturday Academy hours are 8:30am-12:00pm.
If you have application questions, please contact Meghan Amaya, Administrative and Program Assistant, at (203) 396-4470 or email@example.com.