Michael Giarratano, MAT
Department Chair/Co-Director 5th year Internship Program
During a 38 year career in public education in Connecticut, Mr. Giarratano was a teacher, an assistant principal, and was the principal of three Elementary Schools, most recently at Roger Sherman Elementary School in Fairfield, CT. During that time, he served on the Board of Directors of both the Connecticut Association of Schools and the Elementary Principal’s Association of Connecticut where he was state treasurer for six years. Mr. Giarratano presented at the National Association of Elementary Principals Convention, published an article in the Connecticut Association of Schools magazine and received recognition from the Connecticut Association of Schools, the Elementary Principal’s Association of Connecticut, and the Council for Exceptional Children.
Mr. Giarratano and his wife, Valerie, have three children and three grandchildren. He is a Viet Nam veteran and a Bronze Star recipient, shook hands with Charles Lindbergh and John F Kennedy, soloed an airplane, played guitar in a band, ran the New York City Marathon, and participated in the National Crossword Championship. His hobbies include music, reading, golf, and sailing.
Degrees and Certifications
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics at Boston College 1967
- Master’s Degree in Elementary Education at the University of Bridgeport 1972,
- Sixth Year Certificate in Educational Administration at the University of Bridgeport 1973
- Co-Director of the Intern Program
- Co-Director of the Fifth Year Program
- ED657 Reflective Practices Project