Karen C. Waters, Ed.D
Professional interests include:
Designing rich clinical experiences to enhance teacher candidates’ pedagogical understandings of literacy instruction in providing authentic opportunities for them to explore multiple approaches for teaching ethnically, culturally, and linguistically diverse learners.
Influencing aspiring reading consultants to collaborate with colleagues in developing a systemic framework that includes best practices in curriculum, instruction, assessment as integrative components for advancing the reading and writing achievement of all students.
Developing innovative evidence-based practices aligning with the Common Core State Standards to share with colleagues and preservice teachers through local and regional presentations focusing strategies that have immediate application to the classroom.
Using music as an authentic and artistic tool to integrate fluency instruction into daily reading instruction, not only for the purpose of enhancing phonemic awareness in young children, but as a bridge to comprehension through viable strategies for increasing prosody, automaticity, expression, and accuracy.
Family Literacy: Working with the school, home, and community as a symbiosis for a university literacy partnership in helping parents acquire literacy routines to help their children develop the “habits of mind” of proficient readers using at-home literacy experiences as the basis for literacy learning. Fertile ground for a literate environment is created through a combination of oral language, ancestral anecdotes, and interactive read-alouds, through which a context for mutual respect among parents, teachers, and students engenders the life lessons that shape our values, beliefs, and heritage.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ed.D, Teacher Leadership, 2011, Walden University
- 6th Year CAS in Educational Leadership, 1995, Southern CT State University
- Masters in Reading, 1979, University of Bridgeport
- Bachelor of Arts, 1972, Elementary Education, University of Bridgeport
- EDR 540 - Diagnosis and Remediation I
- EDR 541 – Diagnosis and Remediation II
- Ed 413 – Methods and Materials of Reading/Language Arts
- EDR 510 – Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- EDR 550 – Clinic I
- Prep Seminar for the CT Foundations of Reading Exam