Applying for a Certificate/License/Credential in Other States
Once you have completed one of our state-approved and NCATE accredited teacher education programs and have earned your Connecticut teaching, administrative or school service certificate, you may begin the process of applying for certification in other states. Some states will accept a valid Connecticut certificate without any additional coursework or tests, while other states may require additional coursework and/or tests.
Most states require an institutional verification/recommendation and transcripts as part of their application packet. If you need the institutional verification/recommendation, please send the state-specific form to your contact person and administrator:
- Teacher Education: Yvonne Temple (email@example.com)
- Educational Leadership and Literacy: Daria Corey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Speech-Language Pathology: Ellen Massucci (email@example.com)
- Griswold Campus: Karen Christensen (Christensenk@sacredheart.edu)
- Teacher Education: Mr. Mike Giarratano
- Educational Leadership and Literacy: Dr. Randall Glading
- Griswold Campus: Dr. Karen Christensen
- Speech-Language Pathology: Dr. Rhea Paul
Please include the following information if not included on the form: Name, address, email address, phone number, SHU student ID number and the last term you attended SHU. Please also provide instructions on where you want the form sent. Some states require that the student collect all of the information and forward it to them in one packet. Other states require that the institution send the form directly to their office.
You will need to request transcripts separately.
The certification application process varies from state to state. Contact the Department of Education or office of authority regarding state-specific requirements leading to certification.States are continually revising their teacher certification rules and requirements, and the certification process differs from state to state. You may research teaching positions, certification/licensure requirements and processes in different states from the list below: