The Thomas More Honors Program seeks bright, eager and dedicated students who are ready to capitalize on the unique resources and opportunities offered to them through the Program. Because there is a limited number of spots, admission into the Honors Program is very competitive and is based on the strength of the student’s academic record and accomplishments.
There are two ways to enter the Honors Program:
- as an incoming freshman
- as a rising sophomore currently at Sacred Heart or who is transferring to Sacred Heart
Admission into the Honors Program as an incoming freshman is by invitation, after a review of all applicants’ academic records. The invitation is a two-step process: 1) Students meeting the minimum criteria outlined below are sent a letter by early Spring inviting them to consider participating in the Honors Program; and 2) invited students who are interested in participating in the Program are then asked to complete an application for admission into the Program.
The application requests students to provide a list of extracurricular activities, a brief essay, and acknowledgment of their understanding of program requirements. The application will be reviewed, along with a re-review of academic credentials. Because there are limited slots in the Program, not all honors applicants will be accepted into the Honors Program.
Minimum academic credentials:
- GPA of 3.8 or higher
- ranked in the top 10% of high school class
- SAT critical reading and math scores totaling 1200 or higher
- strength and rigor of high school curriculum
- extracurricular activities are also considered
Rising sophomores originating from Sacred Heart or transferring from other institutions can also be admitted to the Program, provided they are still able to complete the academic requirements of the Program by the time they graduate. All Sacred Heart and transfer students who have completed their first year of college will be invited to apply to the Honors Program.
Application requirements include:
- Completed application
- Cumulative college GPA of 3.667 (B+) or higher after their first two semesters
- 500 word essay describing why the student desires entry into the program and what s/he can contribute to it
- Two recommendation letters from college faculty members who have had the student in their courses in the past year
- No more than 45 credits of college courses, including transferred courses, to allow completion of course requirements
If you have any further questions, please complete our online inquiry form.
Alternatively, please contact Suzanne Deschenes, Ph.D., Director, Thomas More Honors Program at email@example.com or call 203-371-7785. You may also schedule a meeting with the Director and Honors student representatives during one of our open houses or a scheduled visit to campus.
One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated. -Thomas More