International Travel Policies

International Travel Policies


To better support international activities and to address risk management issues for the university and its faculty, staff, and students undertaking international travel, Sacred Heart established guidelines for traveling internationally on university-related business or with student groups. Note that policies specifically excludes all personal leisure or vacation travel.

University Travel Policy • Group Travel for Credit  Group Travel Not for Credit

HTH Worldwide International Health Insurance

University Travel Policy

The Business Office provides guidelines and establishes procedures for employees incurring business travel and non-travel expenses on the University’s behalf.

Group Travel Policies

Credit Bearing

All credit-bearing travel (i.e. study abroad courses, or courses with an international travel component) operate through the Office of Global Affairs.  If you have any questions regarding proposing or operating credit-bearing international travel programs please review the information on proposing a program, the faculty leader handbook, or contact the Executive Director of Global Affairs.

Non-Credit Bearing

In an effort to strengthen the ability of the university to ensure the safety of faculty, staff, and students participating in official university international group travel a new travel registration procedure will be implemented. All Sacred Heart faculty and staff leading student groups outside the United States are required to disseminate and submit student and group leader risk management forms, as well as an HTHRoster_Excel.

Risk Management Forms for International Group Travel are returned to and retained by the Office of Global Affairs.  Group travel is subject to review by the Office of Risk Management.  Contact the Office of Global Affairs for the International Non-Credit Group Travel Forms_AY1516.

Please allow a minimum of thirty (30) days prior to departure to complete necessary paperwork. 

The Office of Global Affairs will facilitate HTH international health insurance enrollment for groups traveling abroad, as well as retain the risk management forms for each group. This group international travel policy ensures that all Sacred Heart employees and students are appropriately protected when traveling abroad, which is consistent with the university policy on international travel and risk management.

The policy also helps the University report international group travel accurately to our insurance carriers and provides the University the ability to contact travelers in the event of an emergency situation abroad.

For more information, please review the 2015/16 HTH pamphlet.

HTH Worldwide International Health Insurance

Sacred Heart University has contracted with HTH Worldwide, a leading global health insurance provider, to provide you with service and protection in the event you become ill or injured during your program.

What online services are available on the HTH website?

Using the site, you can:

  • Review insurance plan benefits and coverage dates/status
  • Review emergency assistance benefit
  • Download claims forms and instructions; check claims status
  • Search for a doctor outside the U.S.
  • Review health and safety information about their program's location
  • Translate medication names, medical phrases and terms
  • Review recent health and security news, and/or sign up to receive personalized email alerts

Your HTH health insurance will be valid for the dates of your travel abroad.

Once enrolled with HTH, you will be assigned a personal ID number (Certificate Number). This number will be on your ID card and may also be accessed through HTH Worldwide. Upon receipt of this number, please log on to the HTH Worldwide website to register and have access to the HTH tools, services, and benefits information. This site will show you how to do a doctor/pharmacy/hospital search, medical translation, file a claim, etc. You should familiarize yourself with HTH prior to travel abroad and you are encouraged to contact them anytime with specific questions.  You will need to enter your personal HTH Worldwide ID number to register at this website.

HTH Non-Emergency Medical Care Overseas

If you are in need of non-emergency medical care overseas, you may contact HTH directly at the phone number or email address on your ID card for 24/7 service and assistance.  Always contact HTH in the case of emergency or have someone else contact them on your behalf.  If you are able to access the internet, please log on to the HTH website to locate a physician. HTH has already identified and certified physicians who can provide medical care in most of our study abroad destinations.

There is no deductible and no co-payment for your medical care through HTH partner providers. However, you will need to pay for prescription medicine out-of-pocket. Collect all receipts, and submit them along with a completed HTH claim form directly to  upon your return to the U.S. If you are unable to receive care from an HTH provider and must see another provider, please contact HTH to see if the provider will accept payment from HTH. You may need to pay costs out-of-pocket. Collect receipts for every service provided and then submit the receipts and a completed HTH claim form directly to HTH after you return to the U.S. You are advised to bring a credit card with you for medical emergencies. Please read the policy information on the Basic Insurance below. 

Please contact the Office of Global Affairs to review the HTH Policy and Pamphlet.

Emergency Medical Care Overseas

In the event of a medical or evacuation emergency, you should contact HTH immediately at: 1-888-243-2358 (phone number is on the card).

All Eligible Participants are entitled to Global Assistance Services while traveling outside of the United States. In the event of an emergency, you should go immediately to the nearest physician or hospital without delay and then contact HTH Worldwide. HTH Worldwide will then take the appropriate action to assist and monitor the medical care until the situation is resolved.

To contact HTH Worldwide in the event of an emergency, call 1.800.257.4823 or collect to +1.610.254.8771.

Submitting a Claim

Claims are to be submitted to:

HTH Worldwide
Attn: International Claims
One Radnor Corporate Center, Suite 100
Radnor, PA 19087, USA

See the HTH Worldwide website for claim forms and instructions on how to file.

High Risk Activities
You should be aware of guidelines and repercussions to your status of engaging in dangerous activities (the definition of which is highly subjective). Because of the vagaries of medical and insurance services in a foreign country and general unfamiliarity with the risks you may face there it's a good idea to avoid obviously risky undertakings. What this means depends on where you are. In some countries it may be that a ride in a taxi is just as dangerous as skydiving is in another.
It is up to you to find out what risks are associated with the things you want to do while abroad. As a minimum, medical insurance should be obtained and understood before you depart for your program. You must take responsibility for finding out all you can about these and decide whether you can deal with any dangers they might present to you. No one wants to impede your enjoyment of your time overseas, but accidents and injuries can and do happen. The important thing is to be informed, prepared, and able to say no to activities you feel are too dangerous.
Questions to ask yourself before partaking in potentially high-risk activities:
  • Am I covered by my insurance for the activities that I wish to partake in while abroad? Are there any restrictions on my activities in the program's guidelines?
  • What kinds of activity might I participate in that may be considered high-risk activities? (e.g. contact sports, bungee jumping, skydiving, driving, moped riding, skiing, etc.)
Prescription Drugs
If possible, you should bring enough medication for your entire trip. If this is not possible, consult your doctor on how to plan ahead.  You should keep all medications in their original containers.  Also, bring copies of the prescriptions with the generic name and a signed note from the prescribing physician.
You should research your medication before you go abroad to learn if it is available and legal in your host country.  Remember the laws of your host country apply.  For more information and tips go to the U.S. Department of State website. For information regarding the translations of prescription drugs and their availability overseas, please consult the HTH Worldwide website.  If you have further questions about the legality and availability of prescription medication please contact HTH Worldwide well in advance of your departure.  Some countries have specific forms that must be completed prior to departure for certain medications.
Remember to also bring a copy of your eye glasses prescription, enough contacts lens and contact solution for the entire trip and a pair of eye glasses.  If you only wear eye glasses, bring an extra pair in case of loss or damage.
If you have any allergies or known medical conditions consider wearing a multilingual medical bracelet or necklace.