Undergraduate Students and the Fulbright Program

Fulbright Advisor

Robert McCloud, Ed.D.
Associate Professor


Tel: 203-371-7792


Academic Building
Humanities Center 109D

Undergraduate Students and the Fulbright Program



While Fulbright grants may not be available for undergraduate research and study, it is never too early to start thinking about a Fulbright application. You may also browse the Graduate Students page for further information.

SHU Fulbright Advisor   What is the Fulbright Program   Who are Fulbrighters   

Who Should Apply  Eligibility Requirements   Which Fulbright Is Right for Me  Program Benefits 


SHU Fulbright Advisor

Dr. Bob McCloud is the Sacred Heart University Fulbright Program Advisor. He can provide information and guidance to SHU students interested in applying for Fulbright awards for study, research, or teaching assistantships abroad. You are encouraged to contact Dr. McCloud in your Sophomore or early Junior year to develop a plan of action.

What is the Fulbright U.S. Student Program?

Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships abroad for one academic year to graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals, scientists, and artists.

Program participants pursue graduate or professional study, advanced research, or English teaching in elementary and secondary schools or universities. Each year, approximately 1,600 Americans traveling to more than 140 countries receive support from the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.

Who Are Fulbrighters?

Fulbright U.S. students:

    • Are recent college graduates, postgraduates, scientists, and other young professionals
    • Strive to foster mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by learning from their hosts overseas while sharing American experiences with their counterparts
    • Represent the richness and diversity of the United States through their varied backgrounds, hometowns, and academic institutions
    • Pursue research, teach English, or undertake graduate study in a wide range of academic fields in over 140 countries
    • Use their international experiences as cultural ambassadors to enhance their academic and professional careers and become leaders in their fields

Who Should Apply?

The Fulbright U.S. Students Program seeks applications form highly motivated, open-minded individuals in any academic field and from any background. Fulbright evaluates candidates based on a student’s cumulative experience and goals; there is no minimum undergraduate G.P.A. requirement. It is not necessary to be enrolled in a college or university at the time of application.

Fulbright candidates should be flexible self-starters with a strong interest in promoting international mutual understanding. Above all, they should be capable of contributing to, and benefiting from, an intensive cultural exchange program.

What Are The Eligibility Requirements?

To apply to the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, you must:

    • Be a U.S. citizen at the time of application (Permanent residents are not eligible)
    • Hold a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant. Applicants without a BA or the equivalent may also be considered if you have extensive professional study and/or experience in the field you wish to pursue.
    • Submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate of Health from a physician
    • Demonstrate proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country sufficient to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed study. This is especially important for projects in the social sciences and humanities.

For more information on eligibility requirements, including ineligibility, please visit the Fulbright website. 

Which Fulbright Is Right for Me?

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for U.S. graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study abroad for one academic year. The Program also includes an English Teaching Assistant component.

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program places recent college graduates and young professionals as English teaching assistants in primary and secondary schools or universities overseas-- improving foreign students’ English language abilities and knowledge of the United States while increasing the U.S. student's own language skills and knowledge of the host country. ETAs may also pursue individual study/research plans in addition to their teaching responsibilities.

The Fulbright-mtvU Fellowships award up to four U.S. students/young professionals the opportunity to study the power of music as a cultural force abroad. Fellows conduct research for one academic year on projects of their own design about a chosen musical aspect. They share their experiences during their Fulbright year via video reports, blogs and podcasts.

The new Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship Program awards participants the opportunity to serve in professional placements in foreign government ministries or institutions and gain hands-on public sector experience while also carrying out an academic research/study project.

The new Fulbright-National Geographic Digital Storytelling Fellowship awards participants the opportunity to undertake an in-depth examination of a globally relevant issue, comparing and contrasting how that issue is experienced across borders. Utilizing a variety of digital storytelling tools, including text, photography, video, audio, graphic illustrations, and/or social media, Fellows will tell their stories, or the stories of those they meet, publishing their work on National Geographic media platforms with the support of National Geographic’s editorial team.

Program Benefits

Grant benefits for all Fulbright U.S. Student grants include:

    • Round-trip transportation to the host country
    • Funding to cover room, board, and incidental costs, based on the cost of living in the host country
    • Accident & Sickness Health Benefits
    • Possible loan deferment

In some countries, grants may also include:

    • Book and research allowances*
    • Mid-term enrichment activities
    • Full or partial tuition
    • Language study programs
    • Pre-departure and in-country orientations

*Grantees with projects that require extensive research support, in-country travel, study materials, or equipment should explore additional funding from other sources to supplement the Fulbright funding.

Please review the relevant Country Summary for specific details.

More information

More information about Fulbright Program benefits are located on the Fulbright website. 

Website information obtained from
http://eca.state.gov/fulbright and http://www.iie.org/fulbright/