About the Office of Global Affairs
The Office of Global Affairs (OGA) is the home of internationalization at Sacred Heart University. There are four areas of service under the office, and we also work with colleges and departments to promote and highlight all international efforts and initiatives across campus. Our purpose is to facilitate, encourage, and initiate the process of internationalization at SHU.
The areas of service directly under the office include:
- English Language Institute
- Study abroad programming
- Faculty fellow for curricular internationalization
- Comprehensive internationalization
- Provide university-level vision and leadership for internationalization;
- Extend and communicate the university's international reach and reputation;
- Work with the Colleges to build partnerships and joint collaborations with institutions abroad;
- Facilitate and engage individual and institutional connections between faculty, staff, students, and alumni with the larger world;
- Provide language learning, programming, and support for visiting international students and scholars;
- Assist students in enhancing their educational experience by going abroad;
- Work with the Faculty Fellow support curricular internationalization.
English Language Institute
The English Language Institute at Sacred Heart offers high quality English Language instruction to non-native speakers of English. The Institute is an integral part of Sacred Heart University, where students can participate in campus activities and events as well as meeting other students. Accredits by CEA, the Institute offers several program tracks to suit a variety of learners.
Fast facts about the English Language Institute:
- The Institute offers full-time, part-time, night, and online ESL programs;
- International students can apply for their student visa when enrolled in the intensive full time program;
- Students will receive a conditional acceptance to SHU undergraduate and graduate programs while attending the English Language Institute.
Study Abroad Programming
Sacred Heart offers a variety of opportunities around the world for SHU and visiting students — with programming that supports a broad range of educational, professional, and personal objectives. If you have any questions about our programs or studying abroad, please do not hesitate to contact the office. Our advisors have traveled widely and can gladly share with you information and advice about traveling, academics, and adjusting to different ways of living.
Fast facts about studying abroad:
- SHU offers more than 100 programs in over 30 countries;
- Students may spend a semester, a year, a month, or two weeks abroad earning academic credit and gaining the kind of knowledge that only a study abroad experience can provide;
- Courses completed on a SHU study abroad program may fulfill general education, elective, or major/minor credits, enabling students, regardless of academic plan, to study abroad and graduate according to their individual schedules.