Rebecca Witten Grizzle, Ph.D., MSN, ANP-C, BS, RN
Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. Rebecca Witten Grizzle has been a nurse for over 20 years. She graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) with a BSN degree in 1997. She is a certified adult nurse practitioner, who completed a MSN in Adult Health Primary Care in 2003 from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). She also earned a PhD degree in Occupational Health Nursing from UAB in 2009, focusing on job stress.
Dr. Witten Grizzle taught in various on ground and online undergraduate, RN to BSN, and graduate nursing programs, such as at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte and the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. At Sacred Heart University, she is a full-time Clinical Assistant Professor in the Online MSN program, where she teaches core and clinical courses including: Healthcare Research, Evidence-Based Practice, Application of Advanced Health Assessment Methods, and Disease Management and Outcomes Assessment. She also advises Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) graduate students in their plans of studies.
For several years prior to returning to academia in 2015, Dr. Witten Grizzle practiced as a nurse practitioner in perianesthesia clinics in the Huntsman Cancer Hospital at the University of Utah and at the VCU Medical Center. Her nursing experience includes medical-surgical, cardiology, transplant, perioperative, occupational health, surgical and radiation oncology. Her clinical areas of interest are anticoagulation management and valvular heart disease. Her areas of scholarly interests include online teaching and learning, quantitative research critique, occupational stress and health promotion.
- Anticoagulation Management
- Best Practices in Perioperative Care
- Community Service-Learning
- Reviewer: Polit, D.F. & Beck, C.T. (2018). Nursing research: Generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
- Teaching and Learning Council, Sacred Health University (2017-current)
- Continuing Education Committee, Sacred Heart University, College of Nursing (2017-current)
- Open Educational Resources Taskforce, Sacred Health University (2016-current)
- Scholarship Committee, Sacred Heart University, College of Nursing (2016-current)
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD in Nursing, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Master of Science in Nursing, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Bachelor of Science, Nursing, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Adult Nurse Practitioner, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- NU 601/430 Principles of Healthcare Research
- NU 554 Application of Comprehensive Health Assessment Methods
- NU 612 Disease Management and Outcomes Assessment
Research Interests and Grants
- Health Behavior Promotion
- Emergency Preparedness
- Grizzle, R. & Young, B. (2015). Best practices in periprocedural anticoagulation management. Utah Nurse Practitioners 22nd Annual Pharmacology Conference, Bristol-Myers Squibb/Pfizer, $9860 continuing education grant.
- McAlister, K. & Grizzle, R. (2010). Emergency preparedness among vulnerable populations in San Antonio, Texas. City of San Antonio Metropolitan Health District, $32,408 community outreach grant.
Awards and Fellowships
- Best Clinical Vignette Poster Presentation, 10th Annual Perioperative Medicine Summit (2015).
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Graduate Fellowship, Deep South Center for Occupational Health and Safety Education and Research, University of Alabama at Birmingham/Auburn University (2001-2009).
- Student of the Year Award, Virginia Nurses Association, District 5 (1997)