Clinical Service Learning Mission to Guatemala
Twice yearly, nursing, physical therapy, and occupational therapy and speech language pathology students travel to Guatemala to provide free healthcare to the marginalized populations of the Greater Panchoy Valley surrounding Antigua, Guatemala.
Students participate in and experience:
- Free clinics for underserved populations which focus on OB/Pedi/Public Health/Pain/Rehabilitation/literacy/General Medicine.
- Providing free medication to each patient as required.
- Wheelchair fitting at a local wheelchair factory.
- Wound care for the homeless.
- Home visits.
Free day excursions may include:
- Hiking to the top of Volcan Picaya
- Zip lining
- Horseback riding
- Coffee Plantation Tour
- Walking tour of Antigua
"This mission helped me realize that as nurses we have the opportunity to change health disparities. After leaving Guatemala, I did not simply leave the same person I was before. I want to change people's lives by caring for them; this was a life changing experience. A fire has been lit inside of me that will help to be the change I wish to see in the world." -Senior Nursing Student
Click here to apply to the Guatemala Program