Executive Director, Part-Time Undergraduate Admissions
7 Cambridge Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
The Speech-Language Pathology Online Prerequisite Series (SLP-OPS) at Sacred Heart University prepares students who have earned Bachelor’s degrees in other fields to apply for admission to graduate programs in SLP, at SHU and/or other universities.
Completion of the SLP Online Prerequisite Series does NOT guarantee acceptance into the SHU SLP Master’s program. Students should research the admissions requirements of all the graduate programs to which they are applying. For instance, in the case of SHU's SLP Graduate program:
- No more than 6 credits of SLP courses required for the 2-year track may be taken prior to applying for the 3-year track.
- No more than one SLP prerequisite course may be repeated by any applicant (2- or 3-year tracks).
SLP-OPS students wishing to apply to the SHU SLP Master’s program must complete the normal application process and will be considered equally with all other applicants.
Why enter this program?
To work as a speech-language pathologist, a Master’s degree and clinical certification by ASHA are required. If you are interested in applying for an SLP Master’s degree program, but have a Bachelor’s degree in another field, a series of prerequisite, undergraduate SLP courses, as well as five courses in the basic sciences, are necessary. The SLP-OPS allows post-baccalaureate students to complete the prerequisite SLP courses online.
How is the program set up?
The SLP Online Prerequisite Series is designed for post-baccalaureate students only, that is, students who have already earned a Bachelor’s degree in an area other than SLP/Communication Sciences & Disorders. This is not a degree program, but a series of prerequisite courses for application to Master’s degree programs in SLP. Therefore, SLP Online Prerequisite Series students register and enroll at SHU as non-matriculated (non-degree-seeking) students. Because it is not a degree program, students in the SLP-OPS will not qualify for federal financial aid; however, private sources may be available.
The SLP-OPS is designed for part-time enrollment, with two courses offered per semester over four semesters for a total of eight courses. The most efficient way to complete the series is to start in a summer semester and continue with two classes per term through the following summer (one year of study). This allows for application to SLP Master’s programs in the winter and, if accepted, enrollment in the fall after completing the SLP-OPS.
It is also possible to start the SLP-OPS any semester, take as many or as few courses as you wish, and enroll only in the semesters during which you choose to study.
The following undergraduate prerequisite SLP courses are offered in the SLP-OPS:
|Summer year 1*||SLP 210 Phonetics|
|SLP 300 Anatomy & Physiology of Speech, Hearing, and Swallowing|
|Fall||SLP 320 Speech Science|
|SLP 330 Language Development|
|Spring||SLP 200 Introduction to Communication Disorders|
|SLP 310 Introduction to Audiology and Hearing Science|
|Summer year 2*||SLP 340 Neuroanatomy of Speech, Hearing, and Swallowing|
|SLP 350 Introduction to Clinical Methods and Observation|
*All summer courses offered every summer. Summer courses span the Summer 1-2 terms.
Some prerequisites may be waived for SLP-OPS students; however, they are recommended for optimum performance in the course.
Do I qualify?
To be admitted to courses in the SLP-OPS, you must submit (via official or unofficial transcript):
- Proof of a completed Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, in any discipline.
- Proof of at least a 3.0 overall GPA in your Bachelor’s degree.
How do I apply?
- Check the SHU Undergraduate Academic Calendar to find the start date of the course/s you wish to take.
- Before the first day of class, email (write "SLP-OPS" in the subject line) your unofficial or official undergraduate transcript/s to:
Department of Speech-Language Pathology
Sacred Heart University
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield CT 06825
- Your transcripts will be reviewed and you will be contacted by email if approved to register.
- Once approved, you can start the registration process. You will complete an online form to open an account. Be sure to check "yes" when asked if you are a visiting student. You will then receive a part-time, undergraduate registration form to print and complete.
- Scan your completed registration form and email it to Angela Pitcher at email@example.com.
For more information regarding admissions and/or registration, contact:
Executive Director, Part-Time Undergraduate Admissions
What is the cost?
SLP-OPS students will pay Part-time Undergraduate Tuition.
In order to qualify for application to Master’s programs in SLP, you must also have completed five, basic science courses (at least 3 credits each course) required by ASHA:
- A course in Biological Sciences (e.g., BI 111, BI 030)
- A course in Physical Sciences (e.g., PY 102 AO, CH 030)
- Statistics (e.g., MA 131)
- Two courses in Social/Behavioral Sciences (e.g., PS 110, PS 252 -required for SHU's graduate program)
We strongly recommend that students enter the SLP-OPS having completed these courses. However, it is possible to take them while you are completing the SLP-OPS. Be sure to check the specific requirements of all graduate programs you are applying for.
Options for these courses are offered online at SHU:
- BI 030 The Human Body (3 CR): Focuses on human physiology and the role humans play in the health and maintenance of their bodies. Topics include human organization, processing and transporting, integration and coordination and reproduction. Three hours of lecture per week, offered online, for non-science majors.
- BI 050 Biology of Poisons (3 CR) : This course presents the principles of toxicology within a human context, discusses how toxicology affects everyday life, and investigates the broader issues for public health and disease prevention. This is an online course for non-science majors.
- MA-131 KO Statistics for Decision Making (3 CR)
- Online coures are offered each semester at SHU in Psychology to meet this requirement (e.g., PS-110 Intro psych; PS-252 Child development psych -note: PS252 is required for the SLP graduate program at SHU).
- Physics of Sound (PY 102 A0)
- Several Chemistry courses are offered online each semester at SHU to met this requirement (e.g., CH-020 Drugs and their implications; CH-030 Chemistry of nutrition).