Apply through CSDCAS directly and submit the observation form to SHU. The deadline for a verified CSDCAS application and Observation form receipt is January 15, 2018.
Two-year applications are processed through CSDCAS, you are only required to apply there. Submit the observation form below to Sacred Heart Graduate Admissions.
Please note the CSDCAS application is only for those applying directly into the two year MS program. If you need the SLP background, please apply for the post-baccalaureate 3-year program on the SHU website.
All two-year applicants must submit the observation form to document the required 25 hours of observation. Email the form to email@example.com and note your application will not be considered complete without the form. If the hours are in progress at time of application, send an email to that effect and forward the form when the hours have been acquired.
Initial acceptances will be notified by April 1. After that date, students placed on the waiting list may continue to receive offers of admission up until the beginning of the fall semester.
To be admitted to SHU’s graduate program in SLP, all students must:
- Successfully complete all required prerequisites for the appropriate track by the end of the summer prior to enrollment in a graduate program.
- Hold a Bachelor of Science or Arts degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have a 3.0 cumulative and 3.3 prerequisite GPA with no individual prerequisite course grade below a C.
Educator Certificates in Neighboring States
|Maine||Massachusetts||New Hampshire||New Jersey|
|New York||Rhode Island||Pennsylvania||Vermont|
For additional information on licensure/educator certification by state, please visit ASHA State-by-State
Other admissions requirements for all students include:
- Application (please see above for stipulations)
- GRE scores (no minimum score set)
- Two letters of recommendation from academic sources
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Please Note: ALL prior schools’ transcripts MUST be submitted for review, regardless of whether or not transferred courses appear on the current school transcript.
- Admissions essay
- Nonrefundable application fee
Applicants will be invited for interviews at the discretion of the SLP Department once complete applications are reviewed.
In addition to the requirements already listed for all students, applicants to the 2 year track must provide documentation of:
- Bachelor of Science or Arts degree with an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- Twenty-five hours of observation of Speech-Language Pathology practice by an ASHA certified SLP documented on SHU form (available from Admissions Office, or the equivalent form from another accredited college or university)
- Successful completion of the courses below or their equivalents with no grade below C and a GPA of at least 3.3
General Science Prerequisites:
- Biological Sciences 3 CR (e.g., BI 103 or BI 111)
- Physical Sciences 3 CR (e.g., PY 103 or CH 120)
- Statistics 3 CR (e.g., MA 131)
- Social/Behavioral Sciences 6 CR (e.g., PS 110) *One must be PS 252-Child Development Psychology or equivalent
- SLP 200 Introduction to Communication Disorders
- SLP 210 Phonetics
- SLP 300 Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Swallowing
- SLP 310 Introduction to Audiology and Hearing Science
- SLP 320 Speech Science
- SLP 330 Development of Language
- SLP 340 Neurological Bases of Communication and Swallowing
- SLP 350 Introduction to Clinical Methods and Observation
No more than one SLP prerequisite may be repeated by any applicant (2- or 3-year tracks).
It is also strongly recommended that all students applying for the SLP graduate program complete the following prior to matriculation, in order to fulfill requirements of the State of Connecticut for endorsement as a school SLP:
- PS 252 Child Development
- ED 302/552 Education in the U.S.
- ED 301/569 Introduction to Exceptionalities
The 3-year track is designed for students who have not completed an undergraduate degree in SLP. Those admitted to the 3-year track will complete the SLP prerequisites live, on-campus, full time, during the first year, and then progress to the graduate program for two more years.
Students who would like to complete the SLP prerequisites part-time, online, can enroll in the SLP Online Prerequisite Series (SLP-OPS). However, in contrast to the 3-year track, entry into the SLP-OPS does not guarantee admission to SHU's SLP graduate program.
In addition to the requirements already listed for all students, applicants to the 3-year track must provide documentation of:
- Bachelor of Science or Arts degree from an accredited institution with an overall GPA of at least 3.0
- Successful completion of the following, general science prerequisites or their equivalents with no grade below C and a GPA of at least 3.3:
- Biological Sciences 3 CR
- Physical Sciences 3 CR
- Statistics 3 CR
- Social/Behavioral Sciences 6 CR
Students in the 3-year track must complete the first year of pre-clinical coursework with a GPA of at least 3.3 in order to advance to the next level of the graduate program.
No more than 6 credits of SLP prerequisites (see requirements for 2-year track, above) may be taken prior to applying for the 3-year track. No more than one SLP prerequisite may be repeated by any applicant (2- or 3-year tracks).