Robin Danzak, Ph.D.
- 2011-2013 Assistant professor, CSD, University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee (Sarasota, FL)
- 2007-2011 Visiting instructor, CSD, University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee
- 2001-2007 Spanish teacher and coordinator of magnet programs, Pinellas County Schools (St. Petersburg, FL)
Primary Professional Service/Affiliation:
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE)
- Connecticut Speech-Language Hearing Association (CSHA)
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Communication Sciences & Disorders (CSD), 2009, University of South Florida (Tampa, FL)
- MA, Linguistics (Spanish), 2001, Universidad de Concepción (Concepción, Chile)
- BA Art History/Spanish, 1997, New College of Florida (Sarasota, FL)
- Connecticut Provisional Educator Certificate: Spanish 7-12 (023); 2014-2022
- Florida Professional Educator Certificate: ESOL K-12 and Spanish K-12; 2003-2018
- Bilingual-biliterate: English, Spanish, Italian
Specialty or Specialist Certification/Training:
- SLP 210 - Phonetics
- SLP 300 - A & P of Speech Language and Swallowing
- SLP 330 - Language Development
- SLP 320 - Speech Science
- SLP 530 - Language and Literacy Disorders in School Age Children
- SLP 570 - Research Methods and Evidence Based Practices
- SLP 525 - Topics in Cultural-Linguistic Diversity
- GS 275 - Culture and Global Health
Undergraduate and graduate courses in Speech-Language pathology in the areas of language and literacy, as well as the basic sciences for CSD.
Research Interests & Grants
2015 - Grant to attend a CIEE International Faculty Seminar in Spain - SHU Grant from the Office of Global Affairs
2014 - Fulbright (Core Scholar) - Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
Bilingual language, literacy, and identity, with special focus on the writing development of bilingual adolescents.
Honors, Awards & Fellowships
Fulbright Scholar Award to the University of Padua, Italy, Spring 2014, to conduct research on the bilingual writing of Italian adolescent students learning English as a second language. Please visit my Fulbright blog.
Publications and Presentations
- Danzak, R. L. (in press). Second language-literacy learning and social identity: A focus on writing. Chapter to appear in R. H. Bahr & E. R. Silliman (Eds.), Handbook of communication disorders. Routledge.
- Danzak, R. L. (2015). The meaning of roots: How a migrant farmworker student developed a bilingual-bicultural identity through change. Global Education Review, 2 (2), 24-42.
- Danzak, R. L. & Silliman, E. R. (2014). Writing development of Spanish-English bilingual students with language learning disabilities: New directions in constructing individual profiles. In B. Arfé, J. Dockrell, and V. Berninger (Eds.), Writing Development in Children with Hearing Loss, Dyslexia or Oral Language Problems: Implications for Assessment and Instruction (pp. 158-175). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.Bahr, R. H., Silliman, E. R.,
- Danzak, R. L., & Wilkinson, L. C. (2014). Bilingual spelling patterns in middle school: It is more than transfer. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 18(1), 73-91.
- Danzak, R. L. (2012). BUT IT'S JUST ONE CENT! Middle school ELLs practice critical literacy in support of migrant farmworkers. Journal of Literacy and Social Responsibility, 5, 158-176. http://tinyurl.com/9bqw8o7
- Danzak, R. L., Wilkinson, L. C., & Silliman, E. R. (2012). Cultural-linguistic diversity and inclusion. In J. Arthur & A. Peterson (Eds.), The Routledge Companion to Education (pp. 263-273). Oxford, England: Routledge.
- Danzak, R. L. (2011). The integration of lexical, syntactic, and discourse features in bilingual adolescents’ writing: An exploratory approach. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 42, 491-505.
- Danzak, R. L. (2011). The interface of language proficiency and identity: A profile analysis of bilingual adolescents and their writing. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 42, 506-519.
- Danzak, R. L. (2011). Defining identities through multiliteracies: ELL teens narrate their immigration experiences as graphic stories. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 55, 187-196.
- Cole, M., Gunther, C., & Danzak, R. (May, 2015). Cultural Awareness Curricula: Appreciating Cultural Differences through Discovering Oneself. NAFSA Annual Conference, “New Horizons in International Education”, Boston, MA.
- Rajala, A., Ritella, G., Schwarz, B., Danzak, R., & Wilkinson, L. (August, 2014). Evolving Theoretical Frameworks for Studying Collaboration in Diverse 21C Learning Contexts. Symposium, European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI) SIGs 10, 21, & 25 Conference, “Open Spaces for Interaction and Learning Diversities”, Padua, Italy.
- Danzak, R. & Arfé, B. (June, 2014). Il Linguaggio come Risorsa/Language as a Resource. Invited seminar, English International School of Padua, Italy.
- Danzak, R. L. (April, 2014). L’uso di una scrittura autentica per sviluppare il linguaggio accademico in L2: Esempi di ricerca negli Stati Uniti, Messico, e Italia [Using authentic writing to develop academic language in L2: Examples from research in the U.S., Mexico, and Italy]. Poster, Giornata CLASTA (Communication & Language Acquisition Studies in Typical & Atypical Populations), Bologna, Italy.
- Danzak, R. L. (April, 2014). Translanguaging the Gulf: Using writing to connect bilingual students in the U.S. and Mexico. Invited lecture, Department of Psychology of Development and Socialization, University of Padua, Italy.
- Danzak, R. L. & Wilkinson, L. C. (March, 2014). Methodological and theoretical issues in bilingual writing/Questioni metodologiche e teoretiche nella ricerca della scrittura bilingue. Invited seminar, Department of Psychology of Development and Socialization, University of Padua, Italy.
- Danzak, R. L., Rajala, A., & Wilkinson, L. C. (August, 2013). The Challenge of “Real Life”: A Comparison of Adolescent New Literacy Projects in the U.S. and Finland. Symposium, 18th European Conference on Reading. Jönköping, Sweden.
- Danzak, R. L., & Wilkinson, L. C. (October, 2012). Los Estudiantes Bilingües y la Escritura Persuasiva: Una Integración de la Lectoescritura Crítica y el Lenguaje Académico (Bilingual students and persuasive writing: An integration of critical literacy and academic language). Paper presentation, Primer Congreso Nacional de Investigación y Desarrollo en Educación (First National Conference in Research and Development in Education), Universidad Autónoma del Yucatán, Mérida, México.
- Mijangos Noh, J. C., Bokel, F., Danzak, R. L., & Wilkinson, L. C. (October, 2012). Problemas metodológicos, pedagógicos y teóricos de la educación bilingüe: Tres aproximaciones (Methodological, pedagogical, and theoretical problems in bilingual education: Three approximations). Educational conversation, Primer Congreso Nacional de Investigación y Desarrollo en Educación (First National Conference in Research and Development in Education), Universidad Autónoma del Yucatán, Mérida, México.
- Danzak, R. L. & Wilkinson, L. C. (August-September 2012). The Evolution of a Bilingual: Diego’s Journey as a U.S. Student. Paper presentation, European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI) SIGs 10 & 21 conference, “Patchwork: Learning diversities”, Belgrade, Serbia.
- Danzak, R. L. (December 2011). La escritura auténtica y el desarrollo del inglés académico por estudiantes hispanohablantes en los Estados Unidos (Authentic Writing and the Development of Academic English by Spanish-Speaking Students in the United States). Invited research talk, Universidad Autónoma del Yucatán, Facultad de Educación. Mérida, México.
- Danzak, R. L., Wilkinson, L. C., & Silliman, E. R. (August, 2011). Graphic Stories: A Bridge to Academic Language for English Language Learners. Paper presentation, 17th European Conference on Reading: Literacy and Diversity, Mons, Belgium.
- Danzak, R. L. (November, 2014). Understanding Translingual Literacy Practices: New Perspectives on Bilingual Writing Assessment. Seminar, American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Annual Convention. Orlando, FL.
- Ransom, S. & Danzak, R. L. (November, 2014). Developing a Coding System for Multilingual, Expository Texts Using SALT. Poster, American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Annual Convention. Orlando, FL.
- Wilkinson, L. C. & Danzak, R. L. (February, 2014). “We Can Be a Change Agent.” Bilingual Adolescents Express Identity and Agency Through Persuasive Writing. University of Georgia College of Education Journal of Language and Literacy Education Conference: Literacy and/for Social Justice. Athens, GA.
- Clark, S. P., Jimenez, L. M., Danzak, R., Vriend Van Duinen, D., and Hamilton, E. R. (November, 2013). Going Graphica: Diverse Contexts, Shared Purposes. Panel Presentation, National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) Annual Convention. Boston, MA.
- Zavala, M., Danzak, R., Johnson, P., Hepner, E. (February, 2013). Saliendo Adelante: A Holistic Approach to Connect Migrant Farmworker Families to Community Services. Workshop, Duvall Family Studies Conference. Sarasota, FL.
- Belvis, R. & Danzak, R. L. (February, 2013). Persuasive Writing Instruction in a Critical Literacy Framework for Middle School ELLs. Paper presentation, National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE) Annual Conference. Orlando, FL.
- Danzak, R. L. & Wilkinson, L. C. (December, 2012). Writing for a Cause: Middle School ELLs Engage in Critical Literacy to Support Local Farmworkers. Paper presentation, Annual Conference of the American Reading Forum, Sanibel Island, FL.
- Danzak, R. L., Silliman, E. R., & Bahr, R. H. (November, 2012). Critical Literacy & Persuasive Writing: Profiles of Bilingual Adolescents. Short course, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Annual Convention, Atlanta, GA.
- Brea-Spahn, M. R., Danzak, R. L., & Bahr, R. H. (November, 2011). Writing Intervention for Bilingual Students: Finding the Yellow Brick Road. Seminar, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Annual Convention, San Diego, CA.
- Danzak, R. L., Wilkinson, L. C., & Silliman, E. R. (May, 2011). Graphic Stories: Scaffolding Literacy for English Language Learners. Workshop, Annual Convention of the International Reading Association (IRA), Orlando, FL.
- Danzak, R. L. & Arfé, B. (October, 2014). Bilingual Writing of Italian Adolescents Learning English: Preliminary Findings. ConnTESOL Conference presentation, Cromwell, CT.
- Danzak, R. L. & Belvis, R. (June, 2012). The Great Tomato Debate: Adolescent ELLs, Critical Literacy, and Persuasive Writing. Bay Area Regional TESOL Symposium, Clearwater, FL.
- Danzak, R. (June, 2011). Writing Our World: Engaging ELL Students in Writing Through Critical Literacy. Bay Area Regional TESOL Symposium, Clearwater, FL.
- Belvis, R., Danzak, R., Fernandez, N., & Earle, S. (September, 2010). Picturing Success: Visual Literacies and Writing Instruction for Diverse Learners. Southeast Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Regional Conference, Miami, FL.