Robin Danzak, Ph.D.
- 2007-2013 Visiting instructor/Assistant professor, Communication Sciences & Disorders, University of South Florida Sarasota-Manatee (Sarasota, FL)
- 2001-2007 Spanish teacher and coordinator of magnet programs, Pinellas County Schools (St. Petersburg, FL)
Primary Professional Service/Affiliation:
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Connecticut Speech-Language Hearing Association (CSHA)
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD, Communication Sciences & Disorders (CSD), 2009, University of South Florida (Tampa, FL)
- MA, Linguistics (Spanish), 2001, Universidad de Concepción (Concepción, Chile)
- BA Art History/Spanish, 1997, New College of Florida (Sarasota, FL)
- Bilingual-biliterate: English, Spanish, Italian
- Connecticut Provisional Educator Certificate: Spanish 7-12 (023); 2014-2022
- Florida Professional Educator Certificate: ESOL K-12 and Spanish K-12; 2003-2018
Specialty or Specialist Certification/Training:
- SLP 210 Phonetics
- SLP 300 A & P of Speech Language and Swallowing
- SLP 320 Speech Science
- SLP 330 Language Development
- SLP 525 Topics in Cultural-Linguistic Diversity
- SLP 530 Language and Literacy Disorders in School Age Children
- SLP 570 Research Methods and Evidence Based Practices
Research Interests & Grants
- 2015 - Grant to attend a CIEE International Faculty Seminar in Spain - SHU Grant from the Office of Global Affairs
- 2014 - Fulbright (Core Scholar) - Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
Bilingual language, literacy (writing), and identity of bilingual adolescents and adults; global service learning and college students' intercultural development.
Honors, Awards & Fellowships
Fulbright Scholar Award to the University of Padua, Italy, Spring 2014, to conduct research on the bilingual writing of Italian adolescent students learning English as a second language. Please visit my Fulbright blog.
Publications and Presentations
- Danzak, R. L., & Arfé, B. (in press). “Globally-minded” text production: Exploring the bilingual, expository writing of Italian adolescents learning English. Topics in Language Disorders.
- Danzak, R. L. (2015). “Sometimes the perspective changes”: Reflections on a photography workshop with multicultural students in Italy. International Journal of Multicultural Education, 17(3), 56-75. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.18251/ijme.v17i3.954
- Danzak, R. L. (2015). Second language-literacy learning and social identity: A focus on writing. Chapter to appear in R. H. Bahr & E. R. Silliman (Eds.), Handbook of communication disorders. Routledge.
- Danzak, R. L. (2015). The meaning of roots: How a migrant farmworker student developed a bilingual-bicultural identity through change. Global Education Review, 2 (2), 24-42.
- Danzak, R. L. & Silliman, E. R. (2014). Writing development of Spanish-English bilingual students with language learning disabilities: New directions in constructing individual profiles. In B. Arfé, J. Dockrell, and V. Berninger (Eds.), Writing Development in Children with Hearing Loss, Dyslexia or Oral Language Problems: Implications for Assessment and Instruction (pp. 158-175). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.Bahr, R. H., Silliman, E. R.,
- Danzak, R. L., & Wilkinson, L. C. (2014). Bilingual spelling patterns in middle school: It is more than transfer. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 18(1), 73-91.
- Silliman, E. R., Brea-Spahn, M., & Danzak, R. L. (July, 2015). Linguistic Density of the Mathematics Register in Students with OWL, LD, Dyslexia, & Dysgraphia. 39th Annual Conference of the International Academy for Research in Learning Disabilities (IARLD), Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Cole, M., Gunther, C., & Danzak, R. (May, 2015). Cultural Awareness Curricula: Appreciating Cultural Differences through Discovering Oneself. NAFSA Annual Conference, “New Horizons in International Education”, Boston, MA.
- Rajala, A., Ritella, G., Schwarz, B., Danzak, R., & Wilkinson, L. (August, 2014). Evolving Theoretical Frameworks for Studying Collaboration in Diverse 21C Learning Contexts. Symposium, European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI) SIGs 10, 21, & 25 Conference, “Open Spaces for Interaction and Learning Diversities”, Padua, Italy.
- Danzak, R. & Arfé, B. (June, 2014). Il Linguaggio come Risorsa/Language as a Resource. Invited seminar, English International School of Padua, Italy.
- Danzak, R. L. (April, 2014). L’uso di una scrittura autentica per sviluppare il linguaggio accademico in L2: Esempi di ricerca negli Stati Uniti, Messico, e Italia [Using authentic writing to develop academic language in L2: Examples from research in the U.S., Mexico, and Italy]. Poster, Giornata CLASTA (Communication & Language Acquisition Studies in Typical & Atypical Populations), Bologna, Italy.
- Danzak, R. L. & Wilkinson, L. C. (March, 2014). Methodological and theoretical issues in bilingual writing/Questioni metodologiche e teoretiche nella ricerca della scrittura bilingue. Invited seminar, Department of Psychology of Development and Socialization, University of Padua, Italy.
- Danzak, R., Massucci, E., Parmiter, J., Rizzo, A., & Zielinski, A. (November, 2015). Reading Between the Lines: Developing a Literacy Program in Guatemala. International Association for Research on Service Learning and Community Engagement (IARSLCE) Annual Conference, “Revolutionary Scholarship: Innovation of Community Engagement Models”. Boston, MA.
- Danzak, R. L. (November, 2014). Understanding Translingual Literacy Practices: New Perspectives on Bilingual Writing Assessment. Seminar, American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Annual Convention. Orlando, FL.
- Ransom, S. & Danzak, R. L. (November, 2014). Developing a Coding System for Multilingual, Expository Texts Using SALT. Poster, American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) Annual Convention. Orlando, FL.
- Danzak, R. L. (October, 2015). Voices Under Construction: Adult English Learners Use Writing to Build Skills and Identities. ConnTESOL Conference presentation, Waterbury, CT.
- Danzak, R. L. & Arfé, B. (October, 2014). Bilingual Writing of Italian Adolescents Learning English: Preliminary Findings. ConnTESOL Conference presentation, Cromwell, CT.