Robert J. Shprintzen
- Speech-Language Pathologist
- President and Chairman of the Board, The Virtual Center for Velo-Cardio-Facial Syndrome, Inc.
- Past President, The Society of Craniofacial Genetics
- Past President, The Society for Ear, Nose, and Throat Advances in Children
- Past Executive Director, The Virtual Center for Velo-Cardio-Facial Syndrome, Inc.
- Past Editor-in-Chief, The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal
- ASHA Fellow
- Awarded Honors of the Association, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2013
Degrees and Certifications
- B.A., Psychology, University of Rochester, 1968
- M.S., Speech-Language Pathology, University of Rhode Island, 1970
- Ph.D., Speech-Language Pathology, Syracuse University, 1973
Research Interests & Grants
- Molecular genetics of human behavior
- Anatomy and physiology of velopharyngeal function
- Phenotype to genotype correlations in velo-cardio-facial syndrome
- Biomarkers for psychosis in velo-cardio-facial syndrome
- Management of craniofacial syndromes
- Grants: NIH support, Genetic Modifiers for Velo-Cardio-Facial Syndrome, 1997 through 2011
- NIH support, Biomarkers for Psychosis in Velo-cardio-Facial Syndrome, 2000-2011
- March of Dimes support, educational videos, craniofacial genetics, 1984-1987
- Clinical trial support, Aton Pharma, Treatment of psychosis in velo-cardio-facial syndrome, 2010
Publications and Presentations
- Dr. Shprintzen has authored or co-authored 210 articles and chapters in peer reviewed journals and text books.
- Dr. Shprintzen has authored or co-authored seven text books.
- Dr. Shprintzen has made over 1,000 presentations at state, national and international meetings including lectures at universities and hospitals in more than 20 countries.