Emmanuel Yung, PT, DPT, OCS, MA, FAAOMPT
Assistant Clinical Professor
- Movement Science and Orthopaedic Manual Therapy
- Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Residency Training
- Sports Rehabilitation
Prior to joining Sacred Heart, Dr. Yung has been teaching musculoskeletal physical therapy at Azusa Pacific University DPT program as an Adjunct Faculty. He was also the Site Director and Clinical Faculty of the Orthopaedic PT Residency Program at Kaiser Permanente in West Los Angeles, California where he mentored Orthopaedic PT residents for 10 years and guest lectured yearly to over 25 residents of 9 Kaiser Permanente and 5 other Southern California Orthopaedic PT Residency Programs (these programs include Cedars-‐Sinai, Healthcare Partners, Casa Colina, Fortanasce and Associates, and Glendale Adventist).
Dr. Yung has more than 25 years of experience, 20 years of these are in musculoskeletal physical therapy including previous stints at the former: Professional Sports Care in Pasadena, California then co-owned by Byron Hansen (current New York Giants Football Team Coordinator of Rehabilitation); Columbia-Presbyterian Center for Sports Medicine in Upper East Side Manhattan, New York; and PT Clinic inside The Sports Club/LA in Los Angeles, California. At Kaiser, he was also the Coordinator for Clinical Education of physical therapy students from 8 Southern California PT schools (including University of Southern California, Azusa Pacific University, Mount Saint Mary’s College, Loma Linda University, California State University Long Beach, California State University Northridge, Western University, Chapman University and University of Saint Augustine).
Degrees and Certifications
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Southern California
- MA, Orthopaedic Biomechanics, New York University
- BS, Physical Therapy, University of Santo Tomas
- Currently pursuing Ph.D. in Ergonomics and Biomechanics at New York University
- Orthopedic Clinical Specialist, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties, 1999-2019
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopedic and Manual Physical Therapists, 2003-2023
- Manual Therapy Fellowship Program, Kaiser Permanente
Specialty or Specialist Certification/Training
Research Interests & Grants
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy (JOSPT)
- Education Committee Combined Sections Meeting Proposal Reviewer and Moderator, and 2014-2015 Annual Meeting Organizing Committee, Orthopaedic Section, American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- Orthopaedic Clinical Specialist (OCS) Item Writer, Specialization Academy of Content Experts, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS)
- Research Committee Member, American Academy of Orthopedic and Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT)
- APTA's ABPTRFE Residency Clinical Performance Index (CPI) Workgroup Appointee
- Orthopaedic Section sponsored Clinical Practice Guideline in partnership with the Federal Section, APTA
- International Scientific Committee Abstract Reviewer, World Confederation for Physical Therapy Congress 2015
- Research Committee Abstract Reviewer, Orthopedic Section, APTA
Principal Investigator. Yung EY, Wong MS, Cameron D, Grimes JK. Posteriorly directed pressures versus laterally directed non-thrust joint manipulation in patients with neck pain - a randomized clinical trial. American Academy of Orthopaedic and Manual Physical Therapists OPTP Research Grant, funded in October 2014.
Principal Investigator. Yung EY, Wong MS, Cameron D, Grimes JK. Placebo-controlled comparison of cardiovascular response to laterally directed and anteriorly directed non-thrust joint manipulation of the cervical spine. American Academy of Orthopaedic and Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT) OPTP Research Grant, funded in October 2013.
Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Patient Sports Performance Analysis - from Clinic to Classroom. Sacred Heart University Academics for Creative Teaching Grant, 2014.
"Clinical Pattern Recognition: Low Back Pain" app for iPad/iPhone. Wong M, LeMoine M, LeMoine, A, Yung E. This app was ranked the #1 physical therapy app worldwide in February 2015. It is based on the APTA Orthopaedic Section Low Back Pain Clinical Practice Guidelines. Released to the App Store on 10/21/2013.
"Clinical Pattern Recognition: Hip and Thigh Pain" app for iPad/iPhone. Wong M, LeMoine M, LeMoine, A, Yung E. This app was ranked the #1 physical therapy app worldwide within 10 days of introduction. It is based on the APTA Orthopaedic Section Hip Pain Clinical Practice Guidelines. Released to the Apple Store on 11/15/2014.
"Clinical Pattern Recognition: Knee Pain" app for iPad/iPhone. Wong M, LeMoine M, LeMoine, A, Yung E. Released to the Apple Store on 2/5/2015. It is based on the APTA Orthopaedic Section Knee Pain Clinical Practice Guidelines.
"Clinical Pattern Recognition: Ankle and Foot Pain" app for iPad/iPhone. Wong M, LeMoine M, LeMoine, A, Yung E. Released to the Apple Store on 2/5/2015. It is based on the APTA Orthopaedic Section Ankle and Foot Pain Clinical Practice Guidelines.
Honors, Awards & Fellowships
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health/National Institute of Health (NIOSH/NIH) grant for New York University PhD coursework in Ergonomics and Biomechanics, funded through NYU School of Medicine, Spring 2014, and Fall 2013.
- Employee of the Year, Physical Therapy Department, Surgical Service Unit, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, West Los Angeles, California, 2009.
Clinical Excellence Awards