For current Sacred Heart University students applying during their Junior (3+3) or Senior (4+3) year of undergraduate study
The suggested completed graduate application deadline is September 15 for the incoming Fall class. It takes at least a month to process applications, so please apply early as it does take some time for you to collect your supporting application materials (including summer course transcripts).
Academically qualified applicants will be invited to interview on specified dates between October and February for the incoming Fall class. Acceptance notification will be made by March 1. Each professional class will be comprised of approximately 65 students.
SHU Sophomores doing the 3+3 option or SHU Juniors doing the 4+3 option who were pre-accepted in high school need to have their Graduate applications submitted by May 1st for Fall review:
An applicant for admission to the graduate physical therapy program must submit:
- The SHU Physical Therapy graduate application.
(External Non-Sacred Heart University Physical Therapy applicants, please go to www.ptcas.org to apply.)
- Two letters of recommendation (one from a past employer/volunteer supervisor, one from a past teacher)
- Official transcripts of all previous college or university work (You need to have all official transcripts sent to the office of Graduate Admissions)
- Your two required essay questions: (Note: Please respond to both questions. The writing sample must be your own work and essay should be a page in length each. Once you submit your application, you will be emailed a link to your student portal to upload):
- Briefly describe the types of experiences you have had in physical therapy and/or health care thus far. Please include some indication of how extensive (comprehensive) each exposure was and how it contributed to your decision to pursue physical therapy.
- Please identify a project you completed that you believe required the most independent learning on your part. The project does not have to be something you did as part of schooling.
Briefly describe what the project involved. Identify why you considered the experience to have been “independent” learning. Identify whether you consider the experience to have been successful, including why. Identify one way in which you would change the experience if you had it to do again that would make it an even better (or more positive) learning experience.
Early Decision for Entering College Freshmen
For students applying to Sacred Heart University for freshman entry with a declared interest in the physical therapy graduate program.
Early Program Decision requirements for entering freshmen include:
High school GPA of 3.3 or higher in their academic courses (Math, Science, History, English, and Language)
- SAT scores of 1150 or better
- 3.3 or better GPA
- Successful completion of four years of Science including Physics
Entering freshmen that meet the Early Program Decision Option criteria and are accepted for this option will have a spot in the graduate physical therapy program reserved contingent upon:
- Overall College GPA of at least a 3.2 at the point of graduate application admission review.
- Successful completion of program prerequisite courses with a prerequisite GPA of 3.2 or higher, with no individual prerequisite grade lower than a C, at the point of graduate application admission review.
- Successful interview with the Physical Therapy Admissions Committee beginning of your junior year for 3+3 or senior year for 4+3 candidates (Students who meet the overall and prerequisite GPA requirements listed above will be invited to interview).
Notification of conditional acceptance to the Early Decision Freshman option generally follows acceptance to Sacred Heart University, with the timing of notification dependent on the time of application and acceptance.