Jody Bortone, OT/L, EdD
Assoc.Dean CHP/Chair OT/Clinical Assoc. Prof.
Primary Professional Service/Affiliation:
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- American Occupational Therapy Association, 2012, President's Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Shortages
- American Occupational Therapy Association, 2008, President's Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Shortages
- Mental Health
- Group theory and facilitation
- Curriculum design
- High impact pedagogies in higher education
- Application of evidence-based practices
Degrees and Certifications
- EdD, Educational Leadership, 2007, Fordham University
- MA, Occupational Therapy, 1984, New York University
- BS, Occupational Therapy, 1974, Columbia University
- AA, Liberal Arts, 1971, Centenary College
- Certified Occupational Therapist
- Leadership and Management
Research Interests & Grants
- Problem-based learning
- Evidence-based practice
- High Impact pedagogies
- Bortone, J. & Dodson, J. (2015). Evidence-based practice: occupational therapists' real-life experience. Sacred Heart University's URCG grant.
- Bortone, J., Sussman, D. (1998). Grant proposal at the New York City Board of Education on the development of an integrated Universal Pre-K program. Submitted and granted, Spring 1998.
Publications and Presentations
2007 - Miller Kuhaneck, H., Bortone, J. & Frost, L. (2007). Concept mapping 101. AOTA's Education Special Interest Section Quarterly, 17, 1-4.
2005 - Bortone, J., Emery, M.J., & Walker, P.W. (2005). The challenge of health care delivery in Connecticut. In G.L. Rose (Ed.), Public Policy in Connecticut: Challenges and Perspectives (pp. 119-138). Fairfield, CT: Sacred Heart University Press.
1998 - Bortone, J., Steinberg, R. (1998, November). Continued competency guidelines for occupational therapists in New York State. Position paper written and presented to the New York State Occupational Therapy Licensure Board, White Plains, New York.
1986 - Grossman, J., Bortone, J. (1986). Program development. In S.C. Robertson (Ed.), Strategies, concepts and opportunities for program development and evaluation (SCOPE): An occupational therapy curriculum. Rockville, MD: American Occupational Therapy Association. R.P. Fleming Cottrell (Ed.). Proactive approaches in psychosocial occupational therapy (pp. 91-99). Thorofare, NJ: Slack.
2015 - Bortone, J. & Buck, P. (2015, Feburary 15). High Impact Practices: An undergraduate perspective. Poster accepted for presentation at the AAC&U Conference, Kansas City, MO.
2015 - Bortone, J., Dodson, J., & Sheridan, S. (2015, March 7). Evidence-based practice: Overcoming the barriers. Poster presented at the Spring ConnOTA Conference, Cromwell, CT.
2015 - Bortone, J., Dodson, J., & Sheridan, S. (2015, February 10). Evidence-based practice: Overcoming the barriers. Poster presented at the Ethnographic and Qualitative Researchers' Association annual conference, Las Vegas, NV.
2012 - Crowley, K., Nolan, K., Kuzenka, A., Cavanaugh, K. & Bortone, J. (2012, March 10). Reflections on occupational therapy teaching assistantships: What impact does the experience have on students' professional development? poster presented at the annual conference of the Connecticut Occupational Therapy Association, Cromwell, CT.
2011 - Andrede, C., Piro, K., Schendel, A., & Bortone, J. (2011, April 15). Friendship experiences of 18-21 year olds with intellectual developmental disabilities. Poster presented at the annual conference of the American Occupational Therapy Association, Philadelphia, PA.
2007 - Bortone, J., (2007, July 13). Critical thinking and evidence-based practice in problem-based learning. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Association for Occupational Therapists, St. Johns, New Foundland, Canada.
2007 - Bortone, J., (2007, April). Critical thinking and evidence-based practice in PBL tutorial groups: A critical case study. Paper accepted for presentation at the annual conference of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), PBL Special Interest Section, Chicago, IL.
2002 - Bortone, J., Vroman, K. (2002 May). Problem-based-curriculum from scratch: Consultation to implementation. Short course presented at the annual conference of AOTA, Miami, FL.
1983 - Bortone, J., Pygrome, D. (1983, April). Professional generativity across three generations of supervision. Paper presented at the annual conference of AOTA, Portland, OR.