Julie G. Stewart, DNP, MPH, MSN, FNP-BC, AAHIVS
Interim Director DNP Program; Director FNP Program; Assistant Professor
- Nurse Practitioners
- Sexual Assault/abuse
Degrees and Certifications
- DNP, Case Western Reserve University
- MPH, University of Connecticut
- MSN, Sacred Heart University
- FNP courses
- DNP courses
Research Interests & Grants
- Interpersonal violence
- Sexual abuse
Honors, Awards & Fellowship
- Faculty Practice Award: NONPF, 2012
- Florence Wald Nursing Clinical Excellence from Connecticut Nurses Association 2010.
- Connecticut Hospital Association Award 2001- John Thompson: HIV Initiative: Clinical Data Management
- Nurse Practitioner of the Year, 2006 (CTAPRN Group)
- Distinguished Alumni Leadership Award, 2006 (Sacred Heart University)
- Sigma Theta Tau, Mu Delta (1997)
Publications and Presentations
- Stewart, J & DeNisco, S. (in press). The role of the nurse practitioner. Jones & Bartlett
- Stewart, J. (2012). Chapter revision: Sexual abuse. In Buttaro & Trybulski Primary Care: A collaborative approach. St Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Stewart, J., & Leider, J. (2011). Opt-out HIV Testing in Pregnancy. MyCME. Haymarket Publications.
- Leider, J., LeLacheur, S. & Stewart, J. (2011). Identifying and co-managing the HIV-infected adult: A guidebook for primary care clinicians. Haymarket Medical Education.
- Beauvais, A., DeNisco, S., & Stewart, J. (accepted for publication 7/13). Emotional intelligence and spiritual well-being among nursing students, Journal of Christian Nursing.
- Beauvais, A., Stewart, J., & DeNisco, S. (submitted for publication 6/13). Factors related to academic success among nursing students: A descriptive correlational research study. Nurse Education Today.
- Stewart, J. & Weinberg, A. (July, 2010). HIV: Make the diagnosis and take the next step. Clinical Advisor. Also available online at http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/hiv-make-the-diagnosis-and-take-the-next-step/article/173462/
- Stewart, J., McNulty, R., Quinn-Griffin, M., & Fitzpatrick, J. (January, 2010) Psychological empowerment and structural empowerment among nurse practitioners. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
- Stewart, J. (2008) in The Health Care for the Homeless Clinicians' Network with support from the Health Resources and Services Administration, update adapted clinical guidelines on the care of homeless patients with HIV/AIDS, Adapting Your Practice: Treatment & Recommendations for Homeless Patients with HIV/AIDS, 2008.
- Parry, M., Wright, P., Stewart, J., McLeod, G., Tucker, J., Weinberg, A. (2005). Impact of Adherence Program on the Health and Outlook of HIV Patients Failing ART. Journal of the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care-4(3), 59-66.
- Parry, M, Stewart, J., Wright, P., McLeod, G. (2004). Collaborative Management of HIV in the Community. AIDS Care. August 2004, Vol. 16
- Cusick, W., Stewart, J., Parry, M; McLeod, G., Rakos, G; Sullivan, C., Rodis, J. (2003). State mandated prenatal Human Immunodeficiency Virus screening at a large community hospital. Connecticut Medicine. Vol 67, (1), 7-10.
- Stewart, J. (2000). Battered women - A phenomenological study. Clinician Reviews. 10, (6), 25-28. Tucker J. B.Barone, J. E. Stewart J. Hogan, R. J., Sarnelle, J. A. Blackwood, M. (1999) Violence prevention: reaching adolescents with the message. Pediatric Emergency Care. 15, (6), 436-439.
- Fries, K. & Stewart, J. (2012). Guest Editors: The concept of community and the complexity of partnering. Creative Nursing, 18(3) p 91-92.
- Fries, K. & Stewart, J. (2012). Partnering with those we serve: Using experiential learning activities to support community nursing practice. Creative Nursing, 18(3) pages 93-97.
- Stewart, J. (March, 2003). APRN: What does it stand for? Connecticut Nursing News. p 2.
Publications –Book and Book Chapters
Publications –Journals: Peer Reviewed
Publications – Journals: Invited
Presentations – Peer-Refereed / CEUs Awarded
2013 Stewart, J. CTAPRNS Annual Conference: The Nurse Practitioner’s Role in HIV Management, April 26, 2013, Southbury, CT.
2013 Poster Presentation at NONPF 2013, Pittsburg: Utilizing the Mini-CEX in an Intradisciplinary Nursing Program to assess FNP clinical interviewing
skills with RN students as patients, Stewart, J., DeNisco, S., Beauvais, A., & Watson, S.
2013 Oral Presentation at Sigma Theta Tau Research Day (DeNisco as presenter) Medication Adherence & the Elderly. DeNisco, S., Beauvais, A.,
Stewart, J., & Perlin, N. March 22, 2013)
2013 Oral Presentation at Sigma Theta Tau Research Day (Beauvais as presenter) Factors related to academic success among nursing students.
Beauvais, A., Stewart, J., & DeNisco, S.
2013 Poster at Eastern Research Nursing Society (ERNS) conference 2013: Emotional Intelligence, Psychological Empowerment & Resilience Among
Nursing Students. Beauvais, A., Stewart, J., & DeNisco, S.
2012 Oral Presentation: Stewart, J. HIV Update and Opportunistic Infections in Primary Care Settings. Oct. 6, 2012, ACNP Annual Conference,
2010 Oral Presentation at ACNP Annual Conference, Tampa, FL: HIV Update for the Primary Care Provider. 10/10
2009 Oral Presentation at ACNP Annual Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico: So Your Patient is HIV+: Understanding the Basics of Primary Care
and the HIV+ Patient 10/8/2009
2009 Pediatric Grand Rounds, “Child Sexual Abuse Team & Stamford Hospital”. 1/15/09
2008 Poster presentation: Psychological empowerment, structural empowerment, and collaboration among nurse practitioners, at First National
Doctor of Nursing Practice Conference: Transforming Care Through Education and Scholarly Practice, October 9-11, 2008
2008 Poster presentation: Psychological empowerment, structural empowerment, and collaboration among nurse practitioners, at American College
of Nurse Practitioners 2008 Clinical Conference: Nurse practitioners-Shaping policy, improving practice, Oct. 29-Nov, 2, 2008.
2006 “Review of Research”. Sigma Theta Tau, Mu Delta Chapter, Fairfield, CT. 4/7/06.
2001 “Mandated HIV Screening in Prenatal Patients - The first ten months”. Oral Poster Presentation, New England Perinatal Society, Woodstock, VT.
March 10, 2001.
Presentations- Invited / Peer
2013 Stewart, J. at Ct Valley Hospital Mandatory Physician Inservice Training on Sexual Violence. 5/21/12
2013 Stewart, J. at Waterbury Hospital Mandatory Physician Inservice Training on Sexual Violence. 5/21/12
2012 Stewart, J. (12/12/12) Child Abuse Overview. Presentation to Bridgeport School Nurses. (1 hour)
2012 Stewart, J. 2nd Annual Clinical Intersection of HIV/AIDS: A Practical Discussion of Connecticut's Course Mandates. 12/1/12.
2012 Mandatory training for physicians: Milford Hospital, CT. June 6, 2012 – Sexual Assault/Abuse Training.
2012 Stewart, J. HIV 101 for Nurses (6 hr program), Yale AIDS Education and Outreach, April 25, 2012, New Haven, CT
2011 March 5, 2011: Bristol Hospital, Bristol, CT - Sexual Abuse and HIV & Intimate Partner Violence and HIV
2011 April 30, 2011: Greenwich Hospital, Greenwich, CT- Sexual Abuse and HIV & Intimate Partner Violence and HIV
2009 Sexual Abuse and HIV & Intimate Partner Violence and HIV. Presented at Yale New Haven Hospital 9/15/09. Sponsored by Yale/CT AIDS
Education and Training.
2009 Sexual Abuse and HIV & Intimate Partner Violence and HIV. Presented at St. Mary’s Hospital, 9/17/09. Sponsored by Yale/CT AIDS Education
2009 Sexual Abuse and HIV & Intimate Partner Violence and HIV. Presented at Greenwich Hospital, 4/4/09 & 9/26/09. Sponsored by Yale/CT AIDS
Education and Training.
2009 Child Sexual Abuse and HIV. Presented to professionals in Bridgeport, CT who work with HIV clients. Sponsored by Yale/CT AIDS Education
and Training with financial support from Abbott Pharm. 3/6/09
2009. HIV, Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B, and Pain in HIV/AIDS. CT Hospice Nursing Fellowship, Branford, CT.
2008 “HIV Update and Women’s Health”, Roatan Hospital, Coxen Hole, Roatan. 7/30/08.
2007 "Hepatitis C: Building effective relationships between patients and providers”. Statewide Hepatitis C conference. New York Academy of
Medicine. NYC, NY. 3/21/07.
2007 “HIV, Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B, and Pain in HIV/AIDS”. CT Hospice Nursing Fellowship, Branford, CT. 10/9/07 & 2/11/09.