Anne M. Barker, ED.D., RN
Transformational Leadership, Complexity Science, and Health Care Management
Degrees and Certifications
- Ed.D., - Teacher's College, Columbia University, Department of Nursing Education, New York, NY, (Nursing Administration, Executive Role). 1989
- MSN - Catholic University of America, School of Nursing, Washington, D.C., 1973
- BSN - University of Virginia, School of Nursing, Charlottesville, VA. 1971
- Pre-Nursing - University of Dayton, Dayton. OH. 1969
- Graduate Leadership and Management
- Graduate and Undergraduate Research
- Doctoral Dissertation Advisement
Research Interests & Grants
Barker, A. (2012). Purchase and implementation of 3G mannekin. Connecticut Health and Education Funding Authority (awared $75,000).
Barker, A. & Sullivan, D. (2001). Leadership Development: A Proposal for Developing a MSN program for the World Wide Web. Connecticut Distance Learning Consortium (awarded $40,000).
Barker, A. & Sullivan, D. (2001). Leadership Development: A Proposal for Developing a MSN program for the World Wide Web. Helene Fuld Health Trust (not funded, $100,000)
Honors, Awards & Fellowship
- Josephine Dolan Award for Excellence in Nursing Education, Connecticut Nurses Association, 2012
- Connecticut Nightengale Award, 2002
- Teaching Excellence Award, Sacred Heart University, May 2000
- President's Award, Connecticut League for Nursing, 1992
Publications and Presentations
Publications – Book
DeNisco, S., & Barker, A. (2012). "Advanced Practice Nursing: Evolving for the transformation of the profession." Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Barker, A.M., Editor. (2009). "Advance Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for Practice." Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Barker, A. M., Sullivan, D. T., & Emery, M.J. (2006). "Role competencies for clinical managers: The renaissance of transformational leadership." Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Barker, A. Arensberg, MBF, & Schiller, M.R. (1994). " Leadership in dietetics: Achieving a vision for the future." Chicago: American Dietetics Association
Barker, A. (l990). "Transformational nursing leadership: A vision for the future. New York: National League for Nursing." (Previously published by Williams & Wilkins, 1990)..
Publications – Journals (Peer Reviewed)
Barker, A. (2003) "Faculty Development for Teaching Online: Pedagogical and Technological Issues." Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 34, 273-278.
Barker, A. (2002). "A Case Study in Instructional Design for Web-Based Courses." Nursing Education Perspectives, 23(4), 183-186.
Barker, A. & Young, C. (1994). "Transformation leadership: The feminist connection in post modern organizations." Holistic Nursing Practice, 9(1), 16-25.
Barker, A. (1991) "An emerging leadership pattern: Transformational leadership." Nursing and Health Care, 12 (4), 204 207.
Barker, A. & Mason D. (1985). "Calling in a nursing consultant to calm the waves of change." Nursing and Health Care,6 (9) 502 6.
Barker, A., Tousignant, V., & Lieblin, S. (1985). "Model to determine costs of nursing care using an integrated hospital system." In M.S. Ackerman, (Ed.). Proceeding: "The ninth annual symposium on computer application in medical care" (pp 776 781). New York: Computer Society Press.
Quote: If you can dream it you can do it. Always remember this whole thing started with a dream and a mouse. Walt Disney