7 Cambridge Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
Lead the next generation of healthcare with a graduate degree in healthcare informatics at SHU
As of January 2015, we will be offering both a full-time on-campus option designed for international students as well as the 100% online program.
In our ever-more interconnected world, digital technology is transforming the healthcare industry. From patient charts to hospital orders, healthcare information technology (IT) is streamlining care and improving outcomes. You can help lead the charge with a master’s degree in healthcare informatics.
Challenged to be more accountable for health outcomes, and at the same time, adopt digital health information systems, healthcare delivery systems are in the midst of a technological revolution. With qualified candidates in high demand, Sacred Heart University (SHU) prepares graduates to successfully tackle the challenges of health technology and take on a leadership position in this dynamic field.
With a master’s degree in healthcare informatics from SHU, you will hit the ground running and be prepared to:
- Lead. Graduates will be able to able to prioritize projects, strategize IT implementation and manage teams and systems. They will know how to partner with their colleagues to bring the positive and lasting impact of healthcare informatics to various health settings.
- Innovate. Using cutting-edge health technology and medical informatics best practices, graduates will be able to design solutions to the complex challenges of health information systems.
- Evaluate. Program participants are experts at determining the technology needs of an organization and formulating solutions that take clinical, operational and financial constraints into account.
- Mediate. Healthcare solutions must work for the entire team—from physicians and clinical partners to information technology teams to research and administrative stakeholders. Our graduates will know how to collaborate with diverse teams and build consensus.
A Graduate Informatics Program-100% Designed for You
The healthcare informatics program has been specifically designed for working professionals, offering unparalleled flexibility and convenience through its unique online or on campus format. Students in the program are able to work and collaborate with others in their cohort, yet still manage ongoing professional and personal commitments.
The M.S. in healthcare informatics is personalized to each student. As an incoming student, you’ll speak directly with the faculty chair to discuss your goals—ensuring that they align with those of the program. Faculty also host regular office hours and you are encouraged to collaborate with fellow students and professors both online and on-site.
The Future is Bright: Healthcare Informatics is Growing
As the healthcare IT field grows, employers are scrambling to find knowledgeable, experienced staff. Because our students are trained in both practical and theoretical approaches—and armed with the latest best practices—they are uniquely positioned to succeed in this fast-paced industry.
Companies implementing digital medical IT are ramping up staff and hiring consultants. In fact, demand for healthcare informatics professionals is expected to grow by 22 percent in the next decade—double the average growth for all other fields.*
Furthermore, the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), created an opportunity to improve the performance of the nation’s health system through significant investment in healthcare IT. Administered by the Department of Health and Human Services and led by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), this initiative provides an important step towards harnessing the full potential of digital technology to prevent and treat illnesses and to improve health.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition.
What Sets Our Online Program Apart
The healthcare informatics master’s degree program at Sacred Heart University provides a unique combination of real-world, practical lessons and scholarly research. After completing the online, two-year, 36-credit program, our graduates are equipped with:
- A Solid Foundation: Working directly with the faculty chair, Dr. Stephen Burrows, students begin the program by studying the economic, cultural and technological basis of healthcare IT, focusing on business and clinical operations.
- An Understanding of Project Management and Workflow Optimization: Efficient and effective processes are the name of the game in healthcare informatics. The program delves into workflow design, effective communication and advanced project management methodologies.
- Knowledge about the Impact on Policy and Governance: With the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, more healthcare providers are required to document and track their compliance with certain measures. We examine how these changes are impacting the business and operations of healthcare.
- Emerging Technologies: In addition to studying the latest advances in both patient health records (PHR) and electronic health records (EHR), students are exposed to the trends and innovations that are shaping healthcare—from biometrics to telemedicine to robotic surgery.
Who Should Join the Informatics Program?
If you are considering a master’s in healthcare informatics, our program is best suited for students who either have prior experience or are interested in healthcare IT. However, the program is designed to accommodate the needs of healthcare professionals without an information technology background, as well as IT professionals with little knowledge of healthcare environments. Our plan of study for the online program will prepare you to make an impact upon graduation.
Enrolling in Sacred Heart University’s Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics program is one of the best decisions that I've made as both a professional and student. I entered the program with a minor understanding on the impact that healthcare IT and informatics has within the industry. Two years later, I now work as an Application Specialist for Meditech. The knowledge that I've acquired from the Healthcare Informatics program has become an asset in my new career. Through the dedication and hard work of my professors, I find myself with a breadth of knowledge that has given me many tools to thrive in the HIT industry.
The Healthcare Informatics faculty are passionate about developing their students, have challenged me academically and pushed me to become a better person. The lessons that I have learned from this program are invaluable and I consider my experience in this program as a milestone in my life.
George Buahin, Application Specialist, Meditech
“Upon entering the Healthcare Informatics program here at Sacred Heart, I was working for a Rehabilitation Department with limited IT experience. This program has given me the educational foundation I needed to begin my Heath IT career with one of the leading Electronic Health Record vendor’s MEDITECH, Inc.”
Thomas Goodison, Applications Specialist, Imaging & Therapeutic Services, MEDITECH, Inc.
"The Sacred Heart Healthcare Informatics program is helping me to build on my 10 years of healthcare information technology experience and provide a deeper understanding of the field."
Anthony Brockman, Director of Information Technology, St. Vincent's Health Partners, Inc.