7 Cambridge Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
Lead the Next Generation of Health care with a Degree in Healthcare Informatics (formerly Healthcare Information Systems)
In our ever-more interconnected world, digital technology is transforming the healthcare industry. From patient charts to hospital orders, healthcare information technology (IT) is streamlining care and improving outcomes. You can help lead the charge with a master’s degree in healthcare informatics.
Challenged to be more accountable for health outcomes, and at the same time, adopt digital health information systems, healthcare delivery systems are in the midst of a technological revolution. With qualified candidates in high demand, Sacred Heart University (SHU) prepares graduates to successfully tackle the challenges of health technology and take on a leadership position in this dynamic field.
With a master’s degree in healthcare informatics from SHU, you will hit the ground running and be prepared to:
- Lead. Graduates will be able to able to prioritize projects, strategize IT implementation and manage teams and systems. They will know how to partner with their colleagues to bring the positive and lasting impact of healthcare informatics to various health settings.
- Innovate. Using cutting-edge health technology and medical informatics best practices, graduates will be able to design solutions to the complex challenges of health information systems.
- Evaluate. Program participants are experts at determining the technology needs of an organization and formulating solutions that take clinical, operational and financial constraints into account.
- Mediate. Healthcare solutions must work for the entire team—from physicians and clinical partners to information technology teams to research and administrative stakeholders. Our graduates will know how to collaborate with diverse teams and build consensus.
100% Online, 100% Designed for You
The healthcare informatics program has been specifically designed for working professionals, offering unparalleled flexibility and convenience through its unique online format. Students in the program are able to work and collaborate with others in their cohort, yet still manage ongoing professional and personal commitments.
While the program is 100% online, the M.S. in healthcare informatics is personalized to each student. As an incoming student, you’ll speak directly with the faculty chair to discuss your goals—ensuring that they align with those of the program. Faculty also host regular online/virtual office hours and you are encouraged to collaborate with fellow students and professors through videoconferencing, webinars and chat sessions.
The Future is Bright: Healthcare Informatics is Growing
As the healthcare IT field grows, employers are scrambling to find knowledgeable, experienced staff. Because our students are trained in both practical and theoretical approaches—and armed with the latest best practices—they are uniquely positioned to succeed in this fast-paced industry.
Companies implementing digital medical IT are ramping up staff and hiring consultants. In fact, demand for healthcare informatics professionals is expected to grow by 22 percent in the next decade—double the average growth for all other fields.*
Furthermore, the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), created an opportunity to improve the performance of the nation’s health system through significant investment in healthcare IT. Administered by the Department of Health and Human Services and led by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC), this initiative provides an important step towards harnessing the full potential of digital technology to prevent and treat illnesses and to improve health.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition.
What Sets Our Online Program Apart
The healthcare informatics master’s degree program at Sacred Heart University provides a unique combination of real-world, practical lessons and scholarly research. After completing the two-year, 36-credit program, our graduates are equipped with:
- A Solid Foundation: Working directly with the faculty chair, Dr. Stephen Burrows, students begin the program by studying the economic, cultural and technological basis of healthcare IT, focusing on business and clinical operations.
- An Understanding of Project Management and Workflow Optimization: Efficient and effective processes are the name of the game in healthcare informatics. The program delves into workflow design, effective communication and advanced project management methodologies.
- Knowledge about the Impact on Policy and Governance: With the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, more healthcare providers are required to document and track their compliance with certain measures. We examine how these changes are impacting the business and operations of healthcare.
- Emerging Technologies: In addition to studying the latest advances in both patient health records (PHR) and electronic health records (EHR), students are exposed to the trends and innovations that are shaping healthcare—from biometrics to telemedicine to robotic surgery.
Learn from Best
Students in the healthcare informatics master’s program are taught by professors with extensive real-world expertise in medical IT. From a vice president of healthcare finance to a Chief of Quality, our faculty possesses a deep and varied knowledge of the field. They know what works— and what doesn’t —so our students gain a practical set of skills that can be immediately applied to jobs in medical informatics.
Who Should Join the Informatics Program?
If you are considering a master’s in healthcare informatics, our program is best suited for students who either have prior experience or are interested in healthcare IT. However, the program is designed to accommodate the needs of healthcare professionals without an information technology background, as well as IT professionals with little knowledge of healthcare environments. Our plan of study will prepare you to make an impact upon graduation.
"The Sacred Heart Healthcare Informatics program is helping me to build on my 10 years of healthcare information technology experience and provide a deeper understanding of the field."
Director of Information Technology
St. Vincent's Health Partners, Inc.