New England Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine | Donna Murphy Service Scholarship
Purpose of Award
The Donna Murphy Service Scholarship recognizes an outstanding student who demonstrates extraordinary and sustained service to a genuine and worthy cause, broadly defined herein. Characteristics such as engagement, citizenship, resourcefulness, and scholarship are considered essential qualities of the students being considered for the award.
All candidates being considered for the Donna Murphy Service Scholarship will meet all of the following minimum qualifications:
- Student member in good standing of the NEACSM at the time of application
- Actively matriculated in an accredited New England college or university in a curriculum consistent and aligned to the mission of the ACSM (e.g., exercise science, sports medicine, nutrition, biology, physiology or related field)
- Demonstration of academic excellence, specifically, earning an undergraduate GPA of 3.0/4.0 and/or graduate GPA of 3.5/4.0
- Demonstration of extraordinary and sustained service to a worthy cause consistent with the mission of the NEACSM.
Announcement of the Donna Murphy Service Scholarship will be made to the NEACSM membership with the general call for applications for the NEACM student scholarships to be due on or around May 15th of each year. Special mention will be made to the Donna Murphy Service Scholarship during the inaugural year to highlight the introduction of this award. Applications will include the following:
- Completed application form
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from individuals who are intimately familiar with the student’s work. These two letters may be from two (2) university faculty OR one (1) from university faculty and one (1) from a professional in the community
- Essay that provides a critical reflection of the extraordinary service activity(ies) qualifying the candidate for consideration
- Official college/university transcripts
All completed applications will be distributed to the Selection Committee for review and ranking. The Selection Committee will consist of at least four (4) past and/or present high standing members of NEACSM and one (1) community member designated by the Murphy family. It is expected that each of the committee members will serve a minimum of two years with a staggered rotation/replacement to insure institutional memory of the award and the associated qualities of Donna Murphy. Applications will be reviewed and ranked based on the eligibility requirements noted above. One student will be selected, determined by the general consensus of the Selection Committee. Should a worthy candidate be identified, the Donna Murphy Service Scholarship Selection Committee will advance their recommendation to the NEACSM Awards Committee Chair for confirmation, who will subsequently move to have the candidate accepted by the NEACSM Executive Committee for final endorsement. Should the advancement not be endorsed by the NEACSM Awards Committee Chair and/or the NEACSM Executive Committee for reasonable cause, the Donna Murphy Service Scholarship Selection Committee will reconvene to determine if another candidate is worthy of the award. If no candidate is deemed worthy to receive the scholarship by the Selection Committee, the Donna Murphy Service Scholarship will not be awarded that year.
The Donna Murphy Service Scholarship will be presented annually at the NEACSM Fall Meeting by a member of the Donna Murphy Service Scholarship Selection Committee. It is expected that the award be presented in the same venue as the other NEACSM student scholarships (e.g., presentation of plaque and check in a highly profiled session that includes the NEACSM general membership), however, special consideration is requested to highlight the Donna Murphy Service Scholarship in a unique manner in its inaugural year (e.g., Clarkson Keynote Lecture).
Monetary value: $500 to 1,000
NEACSM Student Scholarship application will be posted on NEACSM website Spring 2018, https://www.neacsm.org