Wendy Bjerke, Ph.D.
Clinical Assoc. Prof /Dir. of Wellness Program
Professional Interest, Activities and Affiliations
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, health promotion and sports specific testing and training.
- Sacred Heart University Wellness Program
- College of Health Professions Center for Community Health and Wellness
- Childhood Obesity Prevention Task Force, Norwalk, Connecticut
- Fairfield County Sports Commission
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., Public Health - Epidemiology, Walden University
- M.S., Exercise Science, Southern Connecticut State University
- B.A., Exercise Physiology, University of California at Davis
- American College of Sports Medicine certification: Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist
Specialty or Specialist Certification/Training
- EX 100 - Introduction to Health & Fitness
- EX 101 - Health, Fitness and Recreation
- EX 250 - Exercise Physiology
- EX 365 - Clinical Exercise Science
- EX 411 - Professional Seminar
- EX 524 - Advanced Clinical Testing and Prescription II
- EX 560 - Thesis Preparation
- EX 561 - Thesis Completion
Publications and Presentations
Bjerke, W. Effects of an education and physical activity program on health and physical fitness variables in children. The Global Journal of Health and Physical Education Pedagogy. February 2013.
Feuerstein, J. and W. Bjerke. Powdered Red Yeast Rice and Plant Stanols and Sterols to Lower Cholesterol. Journal of Dietary Supplements. April 2012.
Bjerke, W. Effects of Conceptually and Activities Based Course on Health and Fitness Variables in College Students. Presented at the American College of Sports Medicine. May 2012.
Bjerke, W. Service Learning in Higher Education Exercise Science Programs. Journal of Social Change. November 2012.
Bjerke, W. A Comparison of Health and Fitness Courses in Higher Education Programs. Presented at the Comparative Effectiveness Research Conference, November 2012.
Bjerke, W. Approaches to Rehabilitation of the Elite Athlete. Presented at New England College of Sports Medicine, November 2012.
Bjerke, W. Modifying the Built Environment to Promote Health. Presented to Get Healthy Connecticut, November 2012.
Bjerke, W. Health and Fitness Programs for Firefighters. Strength and Conditioning Journal, April 2011.
Bjerke, W. Service Learning in Exercise Science Curricula. Presented at Northwest College of Sports Medicine, April 2011.
Feuerstein, J. and W. Bjerke. A Dietary Approach for Treating Dyslipidemia and Hyperglycemia. Journal of Current Nutrition and Food Science, December 2011.
Bjerke, W. The Impact of Infectious Disease on Chronic Disease. A Review of Contemporary Findings. Journal of Social, Behavioral, and Health Sciences. December 2011.
Bjerke, W., Callahan, T., Argondezzi, T. Galbo, S., Burke, D. and J. Zambrella. Case study "Fit Kids" recognized by the Healthy People 2020 Successful Practices Initiative, http://www.aptrweb.org/educationforhealth/successfulpractices.html
Bjerke, W. Incorporating Resistance Training into Childhood Obesity Treatment and Prevention Programs. NEACSM Providence, RI 2010.
Bjerke, W. Service Learning Applied to Exercise Science Curriculum. NEACSM, Providence, RI 2009.
Bjerke, W. Health and Fitness Programs for Firefighters. NEACSM, Providence, RI 2008.
Bjerke, W. Resistance Training Programs for Cardiovascular Disease. NEACSM, Providence, RI 2006.
Bjerke, W. Stress and the Heart. Invited Television Appearance, News Channel 12, Connecticut, 2005.