Beau Kjerulf Greer, Ph.D., CSCS
Assoc Prof/Dir. Grad Exercise Science & Nutrition
Professionally consults regarding exercise and nutritional influences on weight management and chronic disease risk, global impact of dietary selection, and accuracy of food company advertisements.
- Director of Fitness Testing and Nutrition Education at Sherpa in Westport, CT
- Designs the nutrition content for the New York Road Runners Marathon & Half Marathon Official Training program via RUNtrix
- Fitness consultant to the Bridgeport Police Academy
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine
- Member, National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Member, Guild of Sommeliers
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., 2006 Human Movement (conc: Exercise Physiology), Florida State University
- M.A., 2002 Exercise Science, Furman University
- B.S., 2001 Health and Exercise Science, Furman University
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (C.S.C.S.), 2002 - present, NSCA
- Court of Master Sommeliers, Introductory Sommelier Examination, passed Fall 2013
- EX 255 - Nutritional Aspects of Health and Human Performance
- EX 299 - Special Topics in Exercise Science
- EX 362 - Exercise Testing and Prescription
- EX 401 - Advanced Applied Physiology I
- EX 402 - Advanced Applied Physiology II
- EX 404 - Nutrition and Chronic Disease Prevention
- EX 523 - Clinical Nutrition
- EX 531 - Nutrition and Performance
- EX 560 - Thesis Preparation
- EX 561 - Thesis Completion
Research Interests & Grants
- Dietary Supplement Efficacy and Safety
Honors, Awards & Fellowships
- Club Advisor of the Year, Student Life Office (Sacred Heart University)
- Certificate of Appreciation for "valuable service to the Sacred Heart community," The office of Residential Life and Housing Services (Sacred Heart University)
- Dean’s Scholar Award for “exceptional academic performance” (Florida State University)
- College of Human Sciences Doctoral Fellowship Award presented for “exceptional academic performance” (Florida State University)
- Tyner University Fellowship Recipient (Florida State University)
- Recipient of Sandy Molnar Health and Exercise Science Scholarship for "commitment to becoming a professional physical educator" (Furman University)
Publications and Presentations
2015 - Greer, B., Sirithienthad, P., Moffatt, R., Marcello, R., and Panton, L. (2015) EPOC comparison between isocaloric bouts of steady-state aerobic, intermittent aerobic, and resistance exercise. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. In Press.
2015 - Greer, B., Katlinas, M., Shaholli, D., and Gallo, P. (2015) B-alanine Supplementation Failes to Increase Peak Aerobic Power on Ventilatory Threshold in Aerobically Trained Males. Journal of Dietary Supplements. In Press.
2015 - Greer, B., Price, A., and Jones, B. (2014) Timing influence of protein-carbohydrate-electrolyte ingestion on muscle soreness and next-day running performance. Journal of Dietary Supplements, 11:166-174.
2011 - Greer, B. & Jones, B. (2011). Acute arginine supplementation fails to improve muscle endurance or affect blood pressure responses to resistance training. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25: 1789-1794
2010 - Greer, B., White, J., Arguello, E. & Haymes, E. (2010). BCAA supplementation lowers perceived exertion but does not affect performance in untrained males. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 25: 539-544.
2007 - Greer, B., Woodard, J., White, J., Arguello, E., & Haymes, E. (2007). Branched-chain amino acid supplementation and indicators of muscle damage after endurance exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 17: 595-607.
2005 - Greer, B., (2005). The effectiveness of low velocity (Superslow) resistance training. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 27:32-37.
2015 - Relationship between Lean Body Mass or leanness and Indirect indicators of Basketball Performance. 2015 American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting
2013 - Reliability of body composition measurement via BOD POD following a very low-carbohydrate diet. 2013 Presented at the Annual International Conference on Kinesiology and Exercise Science, Athens, Greece.
2012 - Dietary intake and supplement use among competitive powerlifters and Olympic lifters. 2012 National Strength and Conditioning Association Annual Meeting.
2011 - Timing influce of protein-carbohydrate-electrolyte ingestion on muscle soreness and next-day running performance. 2011 National Strength and Conditioning Association Annual Meeting.
2010 - Functional Investigation of Footwear Energy Return on Running Economy. 2010 American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting