Take Action! Create A Career That Helps Others Thrive
Study the art and science of the human body. Learn to use your knowledge to help others recover, improve and thrive.
Earn Your Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science
The Exercise Science program takes a career-focused approach that ensures students have the basic knowledge and skills needed to pursue employment upon graduation.
Through this program, you will:
- Study exercise physiology, human anatomy and exercise prescription as it applies to healthy, compromised and special populations
- Understand strength and conditioning concepts and behavioral influences on exercise adherence
- Be prepared to sit for the National Strength & Conditioning Association licensure exam for the Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (C.S.C.S.) credential
- Prepare for the American College of Sports Medicine licensure exam for the Health Fitness Specialist (H.F.S.) credential
Speed up your studies.
Students have the opportunity to complete their degrees at a faster pace through one of the programs below.
3+2 Exercise Science and Nutrition program
Undergraduate students can complete their undergraduate and graduate degrees in Exercise Science and Nutrition within five years (3 years of undergraduate coursework and 2 years of graduate coursework).
3+2 Exercise Science and Public Health program
Undergraduate students have the opportunity to complete an undergraduate degree and a Master of Public Health degree within 5 years. The ability to take advantage of the 3+2 option (3 years of undergraduate course work and 2 years of graduate course work) is available to students who choose an undergraduate major in Exercise Science.
3+2 Exercise Science and Athletic Training program
Undergraduates have the opportunity to complete an undergraduate degree and a Master of Science in Athletic Training degree within 5 years. The ability to take advantage of the 3+2 option (3 years of undergraduate course work and 2 years of graduate course work) is available to students who choose an undergraduate major in Exercise Science.
3+3 Physical Therapy program
Undergraduate students can complete their undergraduate and graduate degrees in Physical Therapy within six years (3 years of undergraduate coursework and 3 years of graduate coursework). This option is open only to students who choose undergraduate majors in Exercise Science, Psychology or Biology.
In all four programs, students must work closely with their advisor to follow a specific sequence of study. Please note that some summer work is required in the Exercise Science and Nutrition program. Summer coursework may be completed at other universities offering equivalent courses.
Enter a career field with enormous potential.
Exercise Science majors are prepared to work in all areas of allied health, including physical therapy and occupational therapy; they can pursue work as a physician’s assistant; or they can go on to medical school or graduate studies in Exercise Science.
Graduates are employed in a variety of settings, including:
- Elite performance centers
- Corporate fitness facilities
- Pharmaceutical or medical sales
The program formally accepts students following their second semester of undergraduate coursework. Admissions requirements are as follows:
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5
- Minimum grade of C in Introduction to Exercise Science (EX100) and General Biology I/II
Freshmen interested in applying to the program should contact Valerie Wherley, Ph.D, Clinical Assistant Professor.
Additional Program Benefits
- Faculty includes scholars in the fields of strength and conditioning; nutritional influences on health and performance; rehabilitation; biomechanics; health promotion; and community-outreach programs
- Laboratory classes maintain a 14:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- Students benefit from access to motion analysis, human performance and human cadaver laboratories, as well as the Life and Sport Analysis Clinic, which provides students with practical, hands-on experience in the field
- Internship opportunities with more than 30 professional affiliates that are recognized in a broad range of exercise science disciplines and professions
- Opportunity to join the Exercise Science Student Club
- Study abroad opportunities available
Study Abroad Opportunities