Eleni Diakogeorgiou, MBA, ATC
Clinical Assistant Professor
Primary Professional Service/Affiliation:
- Chair, Governmental Affairs Committee, 2013, Connecticut Athletic Trainers' Association
- Co-chair, Governmental Affairs Committee, 2011, Connecticut Athletic Trainers' Association
- Member, Committee on Practice Advancement Web Group, 2011, National Athletic Trainer's Association
- Chair, Committee on Revenue, 2006 - present, Connecticut Athletic Trainers Association
- Board of Directors, 2005 - 2007, Connecticut Athletic Trainers Association
- President, Hellenic Society Paideia. 2000-2003, University of Connecticut Chapter
- Athletic Training Administration
What is your favorite part of Athletic Training?
I love athletic training. It's a high-energy profession that is ever growing. The vast array of settings an AT can work in is also one of my favorite things about AT.
What is your favorite part about teaching Athletic Training at SHU?
We have built a very dynamic curriculum where we incorporate problem-based learning along with our didactic classes. Our curriculum really sets us apart and helps us develop critical thinkers. Another great thing about SHU is that we are a tight knit community, and you can feel that connection while you are on campus. We really want our students to do well, and we try our best to ensure everyone has a great experience. We take every step with the students to figure out their future.
Degrees and Certifications
- MBA, Health Care Administration, 2006, Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, CT
- B.S., Athletic Training, 2004, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- Ph.D. candidate: Health and Human Performance
- Certified Athletic Trainer
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Emergency Procedures
- Organization and Administration
- Evaluation of the Spine
- Concussion Recognition, Evaluation and Management
- Taping and Bracing
- Lower Extremity Evaluation
Research Interests & Grants
- Interprofessional Communication and Education
- Understanding and perceptions of healthcare professions amongst each other
- Emergency Procedures in Athletic Training
- Immediate Care of the Cervical Spine
- Concussion Management
- Patient Reported Outcomes in Collegiate Athletic Training Settings
- Long Term Effects of Concussions
- Patient Reported Outcomes
- Professional Retention rates in Athletic Training
Scholarly & Creative Interests:
Publications and Presentations
- Miyashita, T., Diakogeorgiou, E., et al. High School Athletes' Perceptions of Concussion Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, November 2014
- Diakogeorgiou, E. My Buddy Lisfranc. NATA News, August 2006
- Decher, N, Casa, DJ, Psathas, E, et al. Attitudes Toward Hydration and Incidence of Dehydration in Youths at Summer Soccer Camps. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, June 2005.
- Yeargin, SM, Casa, DJ, Psathas, E, et al. Youth Perception of Thirst is Not a Valid Indicator of Hydration Status. The Journal of Athletic Training, June 2005.
- Casa, DJ, Armstrong, LE, Psathas, E, et al. Heat Acclimatization of Football Players During initial Summer Practice Sessions. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 2004, 36(5sup).
- McCaffrey, M, Psathas, E. Undergraduates Should Pursue Research. NATA News, Aug. 2004, p.38.
- Walker, SM, Casa, DJ, Psathas, E, et al. Children Participating in Summer Soccer Camps are Chronically Dehydrated. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 2004, 36(5sup).
- 2015 Panel Participant (2015, April) Problem Based Learning in the College of Health Professions. Sacred Heart University Faculty Institute.
- 2015 Key Note Speaker (2015, March). Greek Independence Day and what it means to me. Government Center, Stamford, CT.
- 2015 Miyashita, T., Diakogeorgiou, E (2015). Impact Of A Competitive Lacrosse Season On Depression And Anxiety. Poster Presentation - Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association
- 2015 Guest Lecturer (2015, February) The Business of Athletic Training and the Legislative Process. Graduate Level Course Current Research Methods in Athletic Training at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT.
- 2014 Diakogeorgiou, E. (2014, August) Risk Factors and Prevention of Low Back Pain in the Athlete at Select Physical Therapy's annual sports medicine symposium hosted by Select Physical Therapy and Connecticut Children's Medical Center Elite Sports Medicine, East Hartford, CT.
- 2013 Diakogeorgiou, E. (2013, November) Neurocognitive Testing and Its' Use as a Tool When Determining Return to Play. Presented at a Return to Play Criteria and Concussion Management Seminar hosted by the Sacred Heart University, Nursing Department, Fairfield, CT.
- 2013 Diakogeorgiou, E. (2013, May) Airway Adjuncts and Emergency Oxygen Administration Presented at Emerging Trends in Acute Care for Athletic Trainers at Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, CT.
- 2012 Guest Lecturer (2012, November) Human Resource Management for Athletic Trainers. Undergraduate Course: Organization and Administration for Athletic Trainer at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT.
- 2011 Diakogeorgiou, E., Lester, D. (2011, August) Motion Analysis and Its' Use in Determining Function in the Lower Extremity. Presented at Pre-Season for the Athletic Trainer: From Hip to Toe Select Physical Therapy & Elite Sports Medicine Annual Symposium, Farmington, CT.