The Sacred Heart University Masters in Social Work program is currently in the process of applying for Accreditation from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). SHU boasts a reputable BSW Program since 1981 and has fulfilled all accreditation and re-accreditation requirements successfully. It is expected that the MSW Program accreditation will proceed successfully, especially given the leadership, talent of faculty, and the support of the administration.
CSWE accreditation is a multi-step process utilizing a benchmark framework that includes program self-studies, site visits, and Committee on Accreditation (COA) reviews. The process takes a minimum of three years. The steps in the process are as follows:
- Pre-candidacy status: preliminary planning
- Candidacy status: approval to begin program and accept students
- Full Accreditation: all accreditation requirements achieved
Initial Accreditation covers those students who were admitted in the academic year in which the program was granted candidacy and they are considered to have graduated from a CSWE-accredited social work program.
Current program status towards Accreditation:
- Licensure by CT State Office of Higher Education: Achieved October 2015
- Pre-candidacy status: Achieved May 2016
- Candidacy status: Achieved February 2017
- Full Accreditation: Anticipated February 2019