Academic Building, HC 219
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825
The Master of Science in Applied Psychology will teach students how to apply the science of human behavior to solve practical real-world problems through a unique delivery system of 8-week courses. You will accelerate your degree completion, completing the entire degree in as little as one calendar year by taking two classes per session in our evening hybrid (online and on-campus courses) program. You may even decide to start with a 12-credit certificate in one of two specialty areas that can later be applied to the Master’s degree as a concentration.
The program is built on a scientist-practitioner model, in which students gain a solid foundation in the science of psychology, and learn to apply this knowledge and skill set to real world, practical problems. Consideration of ethical issues is woven through all courses, so that the issues of human dignity and social justice are infused throughout the entire program.
Industrial-Organizational Psychology Concentration
This concentration prepares students for careers in the areas of human resource management, performance appraisal, organizational development, assessment, leadership and training and development.
Community Psychology Concentration
This concentration prepares students for careers in addiction rehabilitation facilities, career placement and counseling centers, employee assistance centers, hospitals and community health clinics, family and youth resource centers and federal agencies.
General Applied Psychology Concentration
Students who wish to receive a general master’s degree in applied psychology may take, in lieu of one of the concentrations, a combination of courses from both concentrations and/or other pre-approved Sacred Heart University graduate courses.
- Program Flexibility: MSAP courses are offered in a series of 8 week sessions; entering students begin in September, and also available online.
- Program Options: There are three tracks: Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Community Psychology and General Applied Psychology which will prepare you for future doctorate work.
- Accelerated Format: The program may be taken at an accelerated rate with enrollment in a maximum of two classes during each eight-week session, or at a slower rate with enrollment in one class each eight week session. Each on-campus class will meet twice a week, with the three-credit classes meeting for two 135-minute sessions and the four-credit classes meeting for two three-hour sessions each week.
- Certificate Programs: Certificate programs are 12 credits and are offered in both I/O and Community Psychology.
- Flexible Preparation: Students with a bachelor's degree other than Psychology may apply to this program; prerequisite courses will apply.
- Faculty: SHU Faculty come from a wide range of clinical, academic and corporate backgrounds. Most Faculty are full-time and 93% have their terminal degrees.