What will I study?
Our Bachelors in Theology & Religious Studies will prepare you to critically engage the core questions of life. You will understand what religion is, how religions develop and the tenets of various religious traditions.
You will also gain a theological appreciation for Christian and specifically Catholic history and theology. Our program ensures that you experience the rich and diverse history of theology and how that tradition bears on contemporary questions in science, culture, and politics.
Curriculum | 33 credits
- TRS 101 Introduction to the Study of Religion
- 10 TRS electives distributed as follows:
- At least 1 course in the Biblical Studies area
- At least 1 course in the Theology & Spirituality area
- At least 1 course in the Ethics area
- At least 1 course in the World Religions & Comparative Studies area
- 6 elective credits in any of the TRS areas
- Majors must take 3 courses (of the 10 courses) at the 300 level in any of the TRS areas
- Freshman seminars (FYS) run by TRS faculty may count towards a 200-level TRS elective
In our degree program, you will develop skills such as:
- The ability to think critically
- The ability to write precisely, comprehensively and with depth
- The ability to read and analyze complicated texts
- The ability to articulate your complex ideas
- The ability to appreciate culture at its most fundamental level
You will study:
- The religious impulse and its various manifestations over many centuries of human history and how that impulse to engage the ultimate is still inspiring religious movements
- Christian theology with emphasis on the Catholic intellectual traditions
- How to apply ethical concepts to a broad range of situations
- How to analyze contemporary cultural, political and scientific issues from a religious perspective.
Why choose Theology & Religious Studies at SHU?
Our flexible and foundational degree will prepare you for many professional areas such as law, business, Christian ministry, and the health sciences. Our accomplished faculty members are dedicated to teaching and mentoring as well as committed to the development of the whole person. This program is a great complement, as a double-major or minor, to many areas of study.
Some of our graduates have gone on to graduate schools such as Yale School of Divinity and John Paul II Institute of Marriage & Family, Washington, D.C.
Will I have internship opportunities?
Yes, students in all majors are encouraged to complete an internship. If you are interested in pursuing an internship, you should contact the Career Development and Placement Center for assistance in finding appropriate opportunities. Any internship for credit must also be approved in advance by the academic department.
Companies or organizations our students typically intern with:
- Diocese of Bridgeport
- Kolbe Cathedral High School
- Commonweal Magazine
Are there special admission requirements?
No, we have an open admission policy. Incoming first-year students and transfer students may declare the Theology & Religious Studies major when you apply for admission to Sacred Heart University.
Will I have study abroad opportunities?
Yes, you can study abroad at our campus in Dingle, Ireland and take courses such as TRS 338 Theology & Native Irish Spirituality and other special topics courses. Semesters abroad are usually 2-3 week intensive experiences. Studying abroad situates a course in a context that encourages experiential learning. It is also gives you an opportunity for intellectual, cultural and personal growth.
What are my career opportunities with a Religious Studies degree?
Here are just a few of the careers you may pursue with this degree:
- Non-Profit sector, at the community, national or international level
- Federal, state or local government in policy or administrative capacities
- Local or International Business
- Teaching profession
- Go on to law school
- Go to graduate school in a variety of fields
- Church administration or ministry
- Director of Religious Education
- K-12 Teaching
- Church administration
- Youth Ministry
- Campus Ministry
Want to hear about more opportunities?