The Theatre Arts Program is comprised of innovative and multi-talented students dedicated to creating high quality theatrical productions at SHU. The theatre program is under the leadership of top Theatre professionals and available to all enrolled students at Sacred Heart University, regardless of major or prior experience. Theatre Arts is an exciting opportunity for SHU students to acquire skills as an actor, singer, director, designer or technician and be involved in exciting shows in the beautiful, 776-seat Edgerton Center for the Performing Arts. Productions are often performed with the integration of the Band and Choir Programs as well.
- Students in the Theatre Arts Program may earn up to $4,000 credit toward tuition
- Work with professionals from the theatrical industry
- Perform, direct, write and design on stage
- Gain experience in multiple areas of theatre
- Develop professional theatre contacts through TAP Master Artists and guests throughout the school year
- Build confidence, self-esteem and your theatrical resume
In April 2010, the Theatre Arts Program produced their first mainstage event, the Tony Award winning musical, Rent. After months of hard work, the show opened to the public. Over 2,000 audience members were entranced by the captivating performances of the talented cast. After rave reviews from the public, as well as the Sacred Heart community, Rent was awarded "Event of the Year" during the Campus Life Leadership Awards.
Performing Arts Grants
For information regarding Performing Arts Grants, visit Financial Aid for Performing Arts.
For more information, download the Theatre Arts Program handbook or contact the director:
Executive Director of the Edgerton for the Performing Arts