Peter Loth, Ph.D.
Dr. Peter Loth is the author of the book "Classifications of Abelian Groups and Pontrjagin Duality'' and has published numerous articles in various journals and conference proceedings. Before joining Sacred Heart University in 1998, he held visiting positions at Case Western Reserve University and at Muskingum College. His areas of research include model-theoretic aspects of abelian group theory and the interaction between topology and abelian groups. Courses he taught include Modern College Mathematics, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis and The Art of Thinking. He has been team advisor for the international Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM) for over 10 years. Dr. Loth is a member of the American Mathematical Society.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., Wesleyan University
- M.S., University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
- Modern College Mathematics
- Calculus for Decision Making
- Calculus I, II and III
- Linear Algebra
- Abstract Algebra
- Mathematical Structures and Proofs
- Real Analysis
- Complex Analysis
- Senior Seminar in Mathematics
- The Art of Thinking
Research Interests & Grants
- College of Arts and Sciences Release Time (Sacred Heart University, 2003, 2005, 2010-2012, 2014, 2015)
- Sabbatical Leave (Sacred Heart University, 2007)
- University Research and Creativity Grant (Sacred Heart University, 2004, 2014)
His research interests include model-theoretic aspects of abelian group theory and the interaction between topology and abelian groups.