Peter Loth, Ph.D.
Professor of Mathematics
My interests include model-theoretic aspects of abelian group theory and the interaction between topology and abelian groups.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., Wesleyan University
- M.S., University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
- Modern College Mathematics
- Calculus for Decision Making
- Calculus I, II and III
- Linear Algebra
- Abstract Algebra
- Mathematical Structures and Proofs
- Real Analysis
- Complex Analysis
- Senior Seminar in Mathematics
- The Art of Thinking
Research Interests & Grants
- Abelian group theory, topological groups
- College of Arts and Sciences Release Time (Sacred Heart University, 2003, 2005, 2010-2012)
- Sabbatical Leave (Sacred Heart University, 2007)
- University Research and Creativity Grant (Sacred Heart University, 2004)
Honors, Awards & Fellowship
- Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 2011-2012
- Marquis Who’s Who in America, 2009-2012
- Faculty Scholarship Award (Sacred Heart University, 2001)
Publications and Presentations
- Classifications of Abelian Groups and Pontrjagin Duality, Algebra, Logic and Applications, Volume 10, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Amsterdam (1998).
- Abelian groups with partial decomposition bases in Lδ∞ω, Part I (with C. Jacoby, K. Leistner and L. Strüngmann), in Groups and Model Theory, Contemp. Math.,Vol. 576, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI (2012), 163-175.
- Abelian groups with partial decomposition bases in Lδ∞ω, Part II (with C. Jacoby), in Groups and Model Theory, Contemp. Math., Vol. 576, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI (2012), 177-185.
- Infinitary equivalence of Zp -modules with nice decomposition bases (with R. Göbel, K. Leistner and L. Strüngmann), J. Comm. Algebra 3 (2011), 321-348.
- On t-pure and almost pure exact sequences of LCA groups, J. of Group Theory 9 (2006), 799-808.
- Pure extensions of locally compact abelian groups, Rend. Sem. Mat. Univ. Padova 116 (2006), 31-40. Erratum 118 (2007), 267.
- Compact topologically torsion elements of topological abelian groups, Rend. Sem. Mat. Univ. Padova 113 (2005), 117-123.
- On pure subgroups of locally compact abelian groups, Arch. Math. 81 (2003), 255-257.
- A density property of the tori and duality, Rend. Sem. Mat. Univ. Padova 107 (2002), 185-188.
- Topologically pure extensions, in Abelian Groups, Rings and Modules, Proceedings of the AGRAM 2000 Conference in Perth, Western Australia, July 9-15, 2000, Contemp. Math., Vol. 273, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence,RI (2001), 191-201.
- When is a discrete bounded subgroup of an LCA group necessarily a topological direct summand? Far East J. Math. Sci. (FJMS) 2 (2000), 929-934.
- Direct decompositions of LCA groups, in Abelian Groups and Modules, Proceedings of the International Conference in Dublin, Ireland, August 10-14, 1998, Trends in Mathematics, Birkhäuser Verlag Basel (1999), 301-307.
- Characterizations of Warfield groups, J. Algebra 204 (1998), 32-41.
- Splitting in locally compact abelian groups, Rend. Sem. Mat. Univ. Padova 99 (1998), 187-196.
- The duals of almost completely decomposable groups, Arch. Math. 68 (1997), 353-358.
- The duals of Warfield groups, Pacific J. Math. 181 (1997), 333-356.
- Splitting of the identity component in locally compact abelian groups, Rend. Sem. Mat. Univ. Padova 88 (1992), 139-143.