Government, Politics & Global Studies
Academic Building HC 212P
Preparing Dynamic Leaders to Serve the Common Good
If you’re ready to become an innovative leader prepared to serve your community for today and tomorrow.
- Delivered in a hybrid format of both on-campus and online courses
- First cohort starting fall 2018
- The MPA can be completed in one year full-time or two years part-time
- Trimester schedule with classes meeting every other Saturday
- Available to students with a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in any field
- Ideal for candidates seeking public sector career placement or advancement
- No experience required
- State-of-the-art facility in the Martire Business & Communication Center
Preparing Leaders in Public Service
The Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree at Sacred Heart University will provide you with the skills to thrive in the 21st century public and non-profit workplace.
As part of the MPA degree at Sacred Heart, you can choose from the following concentrations to better match your existing skills and experience, as well as your career objectives in the future:
- Non-profit Management: develop managerial skills such as financial administration, strategic planning, human resources and fundraising to help nonprofits fulfill their core missions
- Emergency Management: increase your skills and capabilities in disaster management and preparedness at the federal, state and local level and in private industry
- Self-designed concentration: allows student to pursue a self-designed concentration tailored to their professional needs and interests
MPA Degree Objectives
As a part of this new and in-demand program with robust career opportunities, you will:
- Learn to strategically manage resources in public and non-profit organizations
- Develop an understanding of the public policy process and changing social demographics
- Harness information technology and apply analytical skills to make data-informed decisions
- Apply ethical and legal principles to identify problem-solving actions
- Learn to foster transparency and accountability by communicating key public issues to diverse audiences
Additional Program Benefits
- Both on-campus and online classes to facilitate learning
- Access to SHU Policy Polling Center for conducting survey research on public policy issues
- Participation in client-based projects with the non-profit community in Fairfield County via Sacred Heart’s own Center for Not-for-Profit Organizations.
State Legislators Share Views on Current Issues, Future Outlook
December 14, 2017
Unlike many recent heated sessions in Hartford, the discussion conducted at Sacred Heart University recently among a panel of state legislators was relatively cordial. The topic was “Connecticut at the Crossroads: A Conversation About the State’s Present and Future,” with Lesley DeNardis, director of SHU’s Master of Public Administration Program and executive director of the Institute for Public Policy, moderating. (IPP). Panelists included State Sens. Toni Boucher, Bob Duff and Tony Hwang, and State Reps. Laura Devlin, Brenda Kupchick, Cristin McCarthy Vahey and Steve Stafstrom, all of whom represent communities throughout Fairfield County.
Connecticut at the Crossroads: A Conversation about the State's Present and Future
November 14, 2017
The Institute for Public Policy at Sacred Heart University presents Connecticut at the Crossroads: A Conversation about the State's Present and Future on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 5 p.m. in The Forum at the Martire Business & Communications Center.
Sacred Heart Offers Reduced MPA Tuition for First Responders
November 6, 2017
Sacred Heart University is offering a 50 percent tuition discount for first responders throughout the tri-state area who enroll in SHU's new Master of Public Administration (MPA) program, which starts next fall.