- Students will recognize major British and American writers and their works.
- Students will understand the social and historical context of British and American Literature.
- Students will display an aesthetic appreciation of literature.
- Students will attain advanced critical reading, thinking, writing, and speaking abilities.
- Students will demonstrate a basic understanding of literary and critical theory.
- Students will be well-prepared for graduate study in literature, and for careers that emphasize writing and oral communication skills.