Combat Existing Cyberattacks. Defend Against Future Ones.
With increased reliance on cyberspace for everything from communications to national defense comes greater vulnerability. Hackers, network outages, viruses and cyber attacks do far more than inconvenience individual users. They compromise corporate trade secrets, breach national security and stifle online commerce—resulting in untold lost revenue.
The rise in cyber threats has created unprecedented demand for cybersecurity specialists—individuals who can skillfully apply analytical frameworks and tools to prevent, detect, address and recover from cyber incidents and security breaches. To help meet this burgeoning demand in this prospering field, Sacred Heart University offers the Master of Science in Cybersecurity degree.
Greater adoption of cloud computing, data centers and wireless communication devices are also driving demand for cybersecurity specialists. In fact, the cybersecurity industry is projected to grow 37 percent through 2020, faster than average for all occupations in any field. (Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15)
- Explore new products and applications that help make the world more secure from cyber threats
- Be exposed to effective technology risk management practices
- Learn to identify new and existing threats and determine methods for mitigating them
- Acquire foundational knowledge in building secure and defendable systems
- Build the skills needed to improve your marketability
- Analyze cybersecurity risks and apply real-world solutions
- Perform cybersecurity research and gain hands-on experience with security tools
- SHU's master's program is tailored to provide you with the fundamentals to be an effective cybersecurity professional.
- Learn from industry experts. Faculty of this program are industry professionals with more than 50 years of combined experience in cybersecurity. By sharing firsthand insight into the challenges associated with countering security vulnerabilities, they add a real-world dimension to the curriculum.
- Take classes with industry professionals and gain valuable networking opportunities.
- Have the opportunity to perform cybersecurity research and hands-on experience with security tools.
Choose the format that works best for you
At Sacred Heart, you can choose from three cybersecurity program options:
- Full-time master’s in cybersecurity program
- Part-time master’s in cybersecurity program
- Certificate program
Position yourself for a high-paying career
With the cybersecurity industry projected to reach $120.1 billion by 2017 (Source: MarketsandMarkets), cybersecurity specialists are well positioned to compete for these jobs with six-figure salaries:
- Data Security Analyst: $89K–$122K
- Network Security Administrator: $85K–$118K
- Network Architect: $95K–$137K
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012–13
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be recognized as having the specialized experience and knowledge necessary to secure enterprises and defend against cyber threats. With this field expected to continue to grow and evolve, earlier entry will provide greater opportunities for advancement.
- CS 504 Intro to Programming Using Scripting
- CS 505/CS 339 Computer Networks
- CS 604 Software Engineering
- CS 635 Digital Forensics
- CS 622 Network Security 1
- CS 625 Cryptography
- CS 626 Intro to Cybersecurity
- CS 627 Systems Security
- CS 628 Security Management
- CS 641 Securing the Cloud
- OR CS 642 Securing the Client/Server
- CS 670 Research Project Seminar
Electives - Choose three from:
- CS 629 Ethical Hacking
- CS 641 or CS 642 (whichever not taken as requirement)
- CS 636 Secure Program Techniques
- CS 637 Professional Responsibility
- CS 638 Concepts in Dynamic and Script Programming
- CS 639 Vulnerability Management