With academic/professional tracks in Sports Broadcasting and Athletic Communications and Promotions, the Master of Arts in Sports Communication and Media is specifically designed from a humanities tradition to showcase multimedia production and capitalize on Sacred Heart University’s ideal geographic location in the heart of the US sports media industry. Students will receive intensive training in the art and craft of digital storytelling across multiple media platforms from traditional television to contemporary social media as they move through a program designed to produce responsible and participatory citizens with well-developed critical thinking skills. Thus, students who move through the Sports Communication and Media graduate program will acquire the knowledge and technical skills to pursue careers in the digital world of athletic communications and sports broadcasting, as they develop a theoretical, aesthetic, and historical understanding of the professional communication field of sports media.
- Hands-on Curriculum that provides ample opportunity to produce real-world materials for publication or broadcast
- Ideal Location in the center of the US sports media industry
- Experienced Faculty with industry connections
- Industry Internships at leading sport media companies
- Blended Courses and Flexible Scheduling for one-year (full-time) or two-year (part-time) plans of study
- On-Campus Work Experiences for Division 1 sports teams and a Connecticut sports magazine show
- Professional Portfolios for the Digital Age that demonstrate that SCM graduates are skilled 21st century communicators
- Alumni Connections and Professional Relationships that are established through frequent interaction with sports media professionals
- Integrated Laptop Program which enables individual students to be independent producers
Moving through the program, Sports Communication and Media graduate students will become ethically aware content creators as well as become critical analysts of the intersection of media and culture and specifically the role of sports in society. Students will be taught by established media scholars and industry professionals as they move through a curriculum that will be grounded in traditional courses and complemented by intensive workshops offered by media practitioners during each semester. SCM graduate students will produce in-depth presentations, multimedia content, and written work in addition to leaving with practicum and internship experiences that showcase both their production skills and critical thinking ability. The graduates of the Master of Arts program in Sports Communication and Media will be prepared to find employment as content creators and professional communicators in the sports media industry.
We invite you to learn more about us by attending one of SHU's Graduate Open House events. We also invite all prospective graduate students to tour our department and its facilities, or to meet with our program director and faculty members. Please contact Dr. Andrew Miller, Director, Sports Communication and Media Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-396-8087 to schedule a meeting or tour.
For information regarding SCM admissions and applications contact:
Director of Graduate Admissions